Sign in to follow this  
Guest PagetM

Printing on leather

Guest PagetM

Hi guys,

Been going crazy trying to find a solution to printing on leather. I have a leather jacket I am interested in putting a graphic on the front and on the back. I've been reading some forums on here saying to use either the screen printing method or sublimation in order to get the image onto a leather jacket but is there another way thats possible? My graphics are very detailed images so I don't think screen printing would give me the result I'm looking for. I know it's possible though, as I've seen a lot more designers use some sort of method to transfer images onto their leather.

I have been getting a lot of "no's" from companies saying the only real way is to have the print made before the jacket is, but is there another way to transfer an image?

Would love your feedback and if anyone knows any companies that may be able to help!

Direct to garment printing, someone with a setup with white ink?

there is no problem to write with ink on leather...

Desk boxes

penhold.jpg

Edited by paloma

I've seen transfer paper made for printers to iron on tee shirts maybe that would work, or have someone airbrush it on for you, I've also seen some nice work done with sharpies on leather.

You should take a look at pen plotters. Or, more specifically an AxiDraw V3. You can place any type of "pen" that you want in the holder (paint pens, metallic rollerballs, etc) and then place the machine directly onto the jacket itself. It's a very handy tool to have. You upload your design in the software and hit print. If you assign different sections of your design into layers, you can have multi color designs. The only downside is these things are pretty slow (similar to a laser engraver).