MarkCdub

Where to find good belt blanks?

I'm going to make myself a belt and I want it to be a good quality leather.  I want it to go together quickly so I want to buy a belt blank.  This will be my day to day belt and I want it vegtanned, no dye.  

Can anyone recommend a belt blank for this, I'm thinking 1.5"-1.75" wide and I need it long enough to fit a 38" waist when completed.  Thanks.

Tandy and Springfield leather both sell blanks. Usually the belt is 1/8" narrower then the buckle so unless you cut your own, you won't get 1.5 or 1.75. And if you want 1 5/8, you will really need to cut your own.

12 hours ago, Halitech said:

Tandy and Springfield leather both sell blanks. Usually the belt is 1/8" narrower then the buckle so unless you cut your own, you won't get 1.5 or 1.75. And if you want 1 5/8, you will really need to cut your own.

Just to clarify, if I buy a buckle for 1.5" belt the width of a 1.5" blank will be 1/8" to wide for the buckle?

If I order a 1.5" belt blank will it be cut exactly 1.5" or will it be cut to accomidate a 1.5" buckle?

21 minutes ago, MarkCdub said:

Just to clarify, if I buy a buckle for 1.5" belt the width of a 1.5" blank will be 1/8" to wide for the buckle?

If I order a 1.5" belt blank will it be cut exactly 1.5" or will it be cut to accomidate a 1.5" buckle?

If you buy a premade belt blank it will be cut to accommodate a 1.5" buckle by being 1/8" thinner (roughly 1 3/8") . If you buy a 1.5" strap, it will be 1.5"

Some buckles will go 1.5" - 1.75", just depends on the maker.

You can get both buckles and blanks in about any width you want. It's true that some SAY 1.5" wont fit 1.5" strap, but some will.  Different buckle makers make em different.

For a 38" waist, you need about a 50" strap.  Tha's 38" for the waist, 3.5" for the fold, 6" for the tip end, and a tad for the thickness of the clothing and the leather itself.  That assumes that you ACTUALLY MEASURE 38" -- I have "34" jeans that I can't get in and I have "34" jeans that fall off... BOTH say 34. :dunno:

To the heart of your question - we don't know where to get GOOD belt blanks.  Without fail, when we have bought them (which I admit is not often) the leather has never been as nice as the picture on the web site.  And they tend to be priced quite high as well.

Edited by JLSleather

I didn't see anyone address the leather weight in responding. I have made numerous belts, primarily for use with holster carry. I have also made a few belts more for "dress" than carry. When making a belt for carrying a holster you are going to want a layered belt.  When I say layered I mean more than a single piece, I usually use a 8 - 9 ounce for the outer and 1 1/2 - 2 ounce for the inner layer. For more of a dress belt it wouldn't necessarily require 2 layers, a single layer would be fine. Dress belts are usually lighter weight leather as well. Personally I wouldn't go much lighter than a 7 - 8 ounce for dress but tat is a personal preference.

One other thing to consider is do you have the ability to cut the buckle slot and skive the buckle end? If not then you will want a belt blank that is pre punched and skived. Springfield Leather has that type of belt blank in different grades as well as different types of leather. They also have them in drum dyed black and brown veg-tan. 

Edited by Ed in Tx

https://www.buckleguy.com/brands/Leather-Straps.html if you want Horween

https://maverickleathercompany.com/product/hermann-oak-veg-1-5/ if you want Hermann Oak (I've personally used this and it was fine but I lined it anyway)

https://maverickleathercompany.com/product-category/wickett-craig-leather/ if you want Wickett & Craig (I have a blank I'm going to make a belt out of, I'll likely line it as well)

I prefer a beefier belt so I use somewhere between a 6 to 9 oz blank and then line it with 3/4 oz. I just buy the stated size and get a buckle to match it and so far I haven't had a problem with them fitting on the two blanks I've gotten.

I have some Horween and it is quite nice but I don't have a belt's worth. I'd certainly line it too. Chrometan seems a bit stretchier than vegtan does. Not to mention the colors on the lighter more "natural" end of the spectrum are quite lovely, IMO.

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

https://maverickleathercompany.com/product/hermann-oak-veg-1-5/ if you want Hermann Oak (I've personally used this and it was fine but I lined it anyway)

That's not a terribly outlandish price IF the leather looks like the picture.  Does cause me concern that on that same page it shows H.O. "B" grade side at $234 .. which is about $40 above what it costs at H.O.  But, maybe not related.

Thanks for all the replys.  I do have the ability to skive and punch holes for the buckle slot and adjustment slots.  I just want a quick belt so Ill probably get a Tandy belt blank in the interim while I look at some of the recommended links.  I'm also gonna try and lose a belt size or two in the time being hecause it seems like the smaller belt will make it easier to find.

You might want to check out Weaver Leather

17 hours ago, JLSleather said:

That's not a terribly outlandish price IF the leather looks like the picture.  Does cause me concern that on that same page it shows H.O. "B" grade side at $234 .. which is about $40 above what it costs at H.O.  But, maybe not related.

So far, and I remain skeptical from my own experience with crap leather, both blanks I've bought for belts have been ok with a nice tight flesh side. I lined one anyway and plan to line the other since I like the lined one so much thus far. Regarding the price of a H.O. side, I won't buy it at that price, I just wait for a sale or find another point of supply.

17 hours ago, MarkCdub said:

Thanks for all the replys.  I do have the ability to skive and punch holes for the buckle slot and adjustment slots.  I just want a quick belt so Ill probably get a Tandy belt blank in the interim while I look at some of the recommended links.  I'm also gonna try and lose a belt size or two in the time being because it seems like the smaller belt will make it easier to find.

If you opt for Tandy, you need to pick it onsite. Tandy isn't afraid to ship you some fuzzy flesh side crap sometimes. You likely know all this but just be cautious. You could always line it also and while it won't fix the stability of the leather, it can hide the fuzz.