Sign in to follow this  
Constabulary

Official Stitch Lenght for Singer 29K is...

4.5mm  :blink:

You barely find information on the actual stitch length in vintage Singer 29K manuals whereas the bell crank levers are marked with numbers between 5 and 16 (most of the time). So we all assume its the stitch length. But over the years I figured the numbers on a stitch length adjuster scale (not only on 29K´s) are not necessarily the actual stitch length the machine can produce (I know stitches become shorter when the BCL is worn). I f.i. know heavy duty machines with a scale of 0 - 30 and the like.

So how do I know the official 29K stitch length is 4.5mm?

Well - just recently I found a SINGER sales catalogue from the1950s for "craftsman" (Handwerker) sewing machines (covers 307G2, 188K1, 195K5, 1965K5, 331K4, 29K71-73, several 45K's). And it clearly states the stitch length for the 29K71-73 is max. 4.5mm (Größte Stichlänge = 4,5mm).

Interesting - isn´t it? Especially since I (or we) know there are 29K machines that can produce a longer stitch than 4.5mm (as my 29K71 - it´s very close to 5 but not fully).

So maybe not too important overall (who cares about 0.5mm - thats nitpicking) but I just though it´s an interesting fact and maybe worth to share this information. ;)

With other words - when your restored 29K can produce stitches between 4 and 4.5mm it is technically a very good machine with not much wear (I´d say).

Some pictures

IMG_9281.JPG

IMG_9282.JPG

IMG_9284.JPG

IMG_9285.JPG

Is that at maximum thickness of leather though or minimum thickness as I thought the jump arm moved the leather a shorter distance with thicker leather

they do not mention any material thickness. So I´d guess this is the stitch length  "under best circumstances" and that is thin material from my experience. I have sewn 12mm material with my 29K71 but have not measured the stitch length at this thickness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kF1feAFwdQ&feature=youtu.be

18 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

they do not mention any material thickness. So I´d guess this is the stitch length  "under best circumstances" and that is thin material from my experience. I have sewn 12mm material with my 29K71 but have not measured the stitch length at this thickness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kF1feAFwdQ&feature=youtu.be 

The foot on my 29k71 doesn't lift as high as yours in the video. My patcher's foot hand lifts to about 3/8 inch (~10 mm) and maxes out at sewing 5/16 inch thickness under the foot. My Adler 30-7 does clear almost 1/2 inch and sews 3/8 inch. Did you modify the 29k to lift and sew higher? If so, what did you do? Does the foot go all the way down to sew thin leather?

Wiz, seriously - I did no modification to any of the parts, I just played with settings! Seems my Singers love me just as I do love them :blahblahblah:

The foot is barely touching the needle plate (still can feed a sheet of copying paper) and lifts as soon as I touch the lifting lever (zero lever slack / slop). I can shoot some picture of how the parts are set but I have no miracle adjustment procedure.

EDIT:

some picture of the part settings that I think have an effect on the foot lift

EDIT II:

Maybe this short video helps to understand my settings (I´m no video artist - obviously).

The foot is barely touching the the needle plate and the foot is able to feed a sheet of paper and you can still open and close the needle plate w/o dropping the foot any further because the slide rod lever rests on the foot lift lever w/o any slop. So thats my setting and thats how I can sew 12mm - no further miracles. The rest is probably playing with setting of the "lifting lever shaft lever" (part no 82154 - see parts list) . Hope this helps. :)

Not sure if I explained it good enough  :wacko:

EDIT III:

And this BTW is why in my opinion the Singer 29K71 - 73 are the best and most cost effective patchers you nowadays can buy for a relatively small amount of money (depends on market an technical condition of course). However - the best patchers are CLAES Mod. 200,  8345 and 8346 which cost a small fortune when new but they have a GREAT stitch length of 6.5mm (but parts are VERY expensive) So if one can live with 4-5mm stitch length there is no better patcher than the 29K71-73 series machines.

IMG_9331_1.JPG

IMG_9329_1.JPG

IMG_9332_1.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Pfaff comes to mind; you MUST have the machine's brochure, parts list, owners manual, engineers manual, all kind of stuff to piece together all of the specifications that you may want to have.  

Found another document (1973-74 Singer Parts catalog) and here the stitch length is stated with 5.1mm max. - funny how different information in official Singer documents can be. So the truth is somewhere between 4.5mm and 5.1mm

Catalog also states the manual foot lift is 9.5mm - funny - I have sewn 12mm materials with my machine w/o pushing it.  :lol:

IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

Maybe not too important but just for the records. I finally have found OEM Singer Bell Crank Levers (both #82167) with different dials. One with 5 SPI and one with what I would interpret as 4.5 millimeter (not SPI). Wondering why Singer did that...  :blink:

IMG_1044.JPG

Very Interesting Folker, Thanks for the detective work , and is it the photo or does the one on the left have a bigger/thicker end????

If the bell crank end is worn with a flat spot on it should it be replaced? 

Op 18-2-2020 om 00:45 zei Dufresne:

Als het krukasuiteinde versleten is met een vlakke plek erop, moet het dan worden vervangen? 

Dufresne, wat bedoel je met de krukasuiteinde! Ik ben nog maar net bezig met deze hobby. Mijn 29 UFA heeft heel kleine steken.

@Toon1954..
Beter is het om Engels te gebruiken...Het deel wordt door de Constabulary in zijn commentaar ( met foto ) verderop genoemd...
Feb 16..
"Maybe not too important but just for the records. I finally have found OEM Singer Bell Crank Levers (both #82167) with different dials."
"Misschien niet al te belangrijk, maar alleen voor de records. Ik heb eindelijk OEM Singer Bell Crank Levers (beide #82167) met verschillende wijzerplaten gevonden."
Mijn Nederlands is niet goed ... excuseer mijn fouten... weer beter om Engels te gebruiken.

Hi, I'm having trouble with my Singer 29K, I bought it recently.
The machine sews but the foot does not advance at all, it stays in place, I have tried to regulate the Bell Crank Levern but it does not vary. I also tried foot pressure.
Do you know what could be happening to me?
Thank you very much in advance,
Paul