Gulrok

Inconsistency with Sewing.

Hey folks.

So we finally ran out of other threads we were using and got started using tiger thread again.

We’re using 0.6 thread and 4mm or 3mm diamond punches from weaver.

The problem we run into is that the backside ( opposite from punched side ) gets a fantastic slant, but the front side isn’t.

Our method is consistent for we’ve followed videos and we’re doing exactly the same as they are.

We , start with the slant going down towards us. The left needle goes through, and the right needle comes around back and makes a cross on the left needle. Turn 90 degrees and go up through the back, top portion of the hole. Cast the thread over the top of the needle. Pull firmly on both sides.

Backside is slanted, front side is not. It lays flatter. I played around with Lin cable, and I seemed to get better slants with that than the tiger thread. I’m not sure what we’re doing wrong, but other people seem to get significantly better angles than us on both sides with tiger thread.

Tough to coach this from afar, but ponder the following:

It's possible to over-tighten such that you decrease the slant. The amount of pressure you'll use will vary depending on leather thickness, thread, irons, and their relative sizes and configurations, etc. 

In thin leather, you may only get a slant on one side. For practice, I recommend going with 8 oz at least. 

The slant produced by diamond irons I've used tends to be less pronounced and more fragile than so-called European type irons that make slanted slits:  / / / / /    Lots of terrific irons out there in this formation. Watch the Armitage YouTube vids for an education on some of the options. I've recently bought from Crimson Hides, Kevin Lee and Amy Roke. All work well for me.

Regarding the technique itself, try this (assumes back side is on your left). Keep the order you described and the cast. When you tighten, pull the left hand first, and pull up at an angle of maybe 30 degrees or so above the stitch. Hold that position so the thread stays high in the front side of the hole, then pull the right hand down at 30 degrees or so. Then, with left hand high and right hand low, just snug it. Don't pull hard.

You may need to experiment with various thread sizes, tensions, leather thicknesses, etc. 

Good luck!

Edited by soccerdad

On 11/4/2019 at 2:56 PM, soccerdad said:

Tough to coach this from afar, but ponder the following:

It's possible to over-tighten such that you decrease the slant. The amount of pressure you'll use will vary depending on leather thickness, thread, irons, and their relative sizes and configurations, etc. 

In thin leather, you may only get a slant on one side. For practice, I recommend going with 8 oz at least. 

The slant produced by diamond irons I've used tends to be less pronounced and more fragile than so-called European type irons that make slanted slits:  / / / / /    Lots of terrific irons out there in this formation. Watch the Armitage YouTube vids for an education on some of the options. I've recently bought from Crimson Hides, Kevin Lee and Amy Roke. All work well for me.

Regarding the technique itself, try this (assumes back side is on your left). Keep the order you described and the cast. When you tighten, pull the left hand first, and pull up at an angle of maybe 30 degrees or so above the stitch. Hold that position so the thread stays high in the front side of the hole, then pull the right hand down at 30 degrees or so. Then, with left hand high and right hand low, just snug it. Don't pull hard.

You may need to experiment with various thread sizes, tensions, leather thicknesses, etc. 

Good luck!

I think I've solved the problem. If I drag the thread on the right side tight against the leather and towards me I get a pretty decent angle. Any other way and I'm getting it inconsistent. Also snugging it is helping rather than pulling hard. I appreciate it.

Glad you figured out something that works for you. Happy to put my two cents in. Since you like the slant and want to see it on both sides (good call, BTW), when the time comes to buy new irons, you might consider the slanted-slit (Euro) type. Happy stitching!