BaroqueLeatherGal

Verbiage for Christmas Deadlines

Hey there guys and gals,

So i'm wanting to do a Christmas sale for my customers but I cant guarantee that they will all be done and arrive by Christmas. Anyone have experience of exactly what verbiage you've used to communicate this to your customers? In a nice way :lol: I can try to get most orders done, but ones that are custom and require hardware or items from other manufacturer's make it impossible sometimes to fulfill peoples ridiculous time frames. Any help is appreciated! 

Thanks All!

Edited by BaroqueLeatherGal

Given that information I wouldn't have a "Christmas Sale" or just have a sale on items you know you can get done.  Nothing irritates a customer more than seeing an ad for a sale then when they show up or call they get the I'm sorry but what you want isn't part of the sale.  Had this happen to me on a custom log bench, advertised on facebook a big sale, when we got there and went through all the details of what we wanted and placed the order then he said oh you want that for christmas, then its not on sale the sale only applies to items to be picked up after christmas.  I would have walked but my wife wanted the bench to give as a gift.

Just my $.02

Todd

G'Day, 

A'h yes , Christmas  :bawling: where everyone runs around like a ' blue a**sed fly ( an ' Aussie-ism' )  looking for something to buy family or friends only for the   recipient to  say  " ....gee....thats ...just what I always wanted.."

....which is code for, " its crap" . 

But to answer your question, if someone places  an order with me  close to Christmas, I always say, " I can't make any guarantees  that it will be done by Christmas "  Or a variation , "  I can't make any guarantees  that it will be done by Christmas as I have many Christmas orders to fill, but I will do my best . "  And so on . 

They need to understand that like me and many others, I am just a sole trader . 

I have this sign on my stall :

We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

And, :  "The impossible we can do, miracles take a little longer"

HS   :)

I once got asked if I could make a tooled leather man's belt with his name on it in time for christmas. It was December 18. :o  Even if I had one ready to go out that already said "roger",  I wouldn't guarantee delivery in a week during Christmas time.

For a "sale", I generally only do that at all on items that are already ready to send out.

To have a "christmas sale", you might consider selling gift card, or something similar.  They can buy a 'credit' to give their recipient, which that person can then use to purchase from you in the future.  See it done all the time.

I too would try to avoid the issue in the first place as much as possible.  It sounds like you really expect it might happen versus probably won't but just in case type of thing.

If you insist, I would inform the customer that items are produced by hand (assuming they are) on a first-come, first-served basis.  Every attempt will be made to deliver orders by Christmas.  However, production may be delayed due to higher volume of orders anticipated from the sales promotion.

Be polite and reasonable and most customers will be also.  There are always outliers.

22 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Be polite and reasonable and most customers will be also.

I agree.  Some customers don't always think ahead. It might be a ' last minute decision'  to get a hand made item/gift .....just before Christmas, not realising  that other people  have made the same decision. So you just have to be a bit ' diplomatic'  . And don't forget,most of us are making stock for the Christmas period and,..... and  you too would like some some time off at Chrissy with family & friends.

We do have a life outside making leather goods you know ?     What???  a life ??? :jawdropper: ha ha  :)

HS 

There are a few of us leather smiths that work together at my company, so getting most simple handmade items done quickly is pretty simple. But, getting pieces from other companies is the downfall of Christmas deadlines, generally all out of my control. We rarely have items made up in advance because we sell on such a high volume of wholesale as well as retail. We run sales like this all the time but Christmas poses a more stressful situation that normal. Generally we just make the order in the order they are received and its not an issue. I will figure something out, i run a sale for Christmas every year and people wait for it, so I cant NOT do it. Thanks all, Ill figure something out. Appreciate all the advice. 

On 11/5/2019 at 5:29 AM, Tugadude said:

Every attempt will be made to deliver orders by Christmas.  However, production may be delayed due to higher volume of orders anticipated from the sales promotion.

I think I'll use something like this, thanks!