jrny4wrd

temp controlled shop

I want to have a seperate shop outside my house. My question is is will leather be ok if it gets below freezing? Is there an ideal temperature I need to keep the shop at all times, or can I just warm it when I am in there? I will soon be moving to the northern parts of the states.  

You would also have to take into concern any fluids and glues that are in the shop.

So yes, there is an ideal temperature - well above freezing.

Plus tools are more likely to rust in an environment that wavers above and below freezing.

Condensation may become a problem depending on how well the structure is insulated and the temperature / humidity swings inside the shop. The ideal situation would be to keep the shop well above zero probably around the 55 + F mark but this may not be an expense that is feasible if you are only occasionally using the shop area. Large temperature as well as humidity swings can play havoc on fluids, all sorts of materials and equipment. I think a converted attached garage or basement area maybe a better option with proper ventilation to get rid of any chemical odours.

kgg

1 hour ago, R SFraser Sr said:

You would also have to take into concern any fluids and glues that are in the shop.

So yes, there is an ideal temperature - well above freezing.

Plus tools are more likely to rust in an environment that wavers above and below freezing.

Alcohol based stuff wont really freeze, but the leather is more of the concern, right? 

I have a small shop about 20x20 that is attached to my metal building. the entire shop floors ceiling and walls are 6 inch and well insulated. After some debate on propane, natural gas, electric, wood heat, i decided on electric heat for now. I am remodeling my carpenter shop this winter, when that is completed i would like to install a propane furnace of some kind that can be tapped for the leather studio as well. In the meantime i installed a 120.00 dollar 5000 btu 240 volt electric heater. this unit does an excellent job in keeping the shop around 48 to 50 degree's, it hangs from the ceiling above the entry door and is easy to adjust when i come in in the morning. The cost of running it in northwest wisconsin during the cold months is about 90-95.00 per month.  But i have to say there is no muss no fuss no odors with it so it may stay.

2 hours ago, cardinal leather said:

I have a small shop about 20x20 that is attached to my metal building. the entire shop floors ceiling and walls are 6 inch and well insulated. After some debate on propane, natural gas, electric, wood heat, i decided on electric heat for now. I am remodeling my carpenter shop this winter, when that is completed i would like to install a propane furnace of some kind that can be tapped for the leather studio as well. In the meantime i installed a 120.00 dollar 5000 btu 240 volt electric heater. this unit does an excellent job in keeping the shop around 48 to 50 degree's, it hangs from the ceiling above the entry door and is easy to adjust when i come in in the morning. The cost of running it in northwest wisconsin during the cold months is about 90-95.00 per month.  But i have to say there is no muss no fuss no odors with it so it may stay.

Perfect. I actually may end up in Winter WI. 

The more you spend on insulation the less your heating bills and the longer the heat will remain in the building, Cold to warm costs a fortune more than warm to hot