HCLW

Exotic Skins

No, but I noticed them once when looking for source for python skins.  Turns out they had COBRA skins painted to LOOK like python.  Now, I'm not sure that always matters, UNLESS like mine your customer has specifically requested python.  

While I haven't asked or confirmed, I believe this is the same people who sell on Ebay and Etsy, for what that's worth.

Edited by JLSleather

They are on Etsy. I’m not sure of eBay. From what I could tell they aren’t misrepresenting the hides, but I’m still a little leery. 

6 minutes ago, HCLW said:

From what I could tell they aren’t misrepresenting

Nope, didn't mean to suggest anything deceptive... they freely state that their "python" is a PRINT -- python pattern printed onto another snake, usually cobra (which are numerous).  

I've seen some "fake" hides that were quite good and would probably take someone VERY familiar with species to tell the difference.  But - for me - if I'm selling python, then I'm sending python.  If the customer wants that look at considerably less cost, no problem with using that as long as they know what they are getting.

Yeah I agree with you. If the customers want python, that’s what they’re getting. I was thinking of a cheaper alternative.

Hi, I only do a few bits and pieces of leather working but my father has been getting more into it since he retired. I managed to pick up what looks like a snake leather and a small alligator leather as a gift for him at a second hand habadashery sale (people selling off their stash of materials they're not using - hence I think the ethical point is moot as these were likely killed and imported many years ago and would be better used than chucked). However I was wondering if there's a good book about exotic leathers or equipment that you need to work with them that I could pair with the skins to round out the gift?