JamesR

Double sided tape for leather

What do you think of the double sided tape for leather instead of glue?  I am wondering what the edges look like without the glue?

I tried one, not as effective as glue & you still have the possibility of the tape being seen the same way as glue

I rarely glue my work but have used double sided tape ( Tandys, when it was on offer ) you can get the same stuff from any craft shop.  Found it worked ok.  If you 're worried about it showing on the edges,  cut it narrower-  then your work should not be seen.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

If you properly sand, bevel, and burnish the edges, . . . the glue or contact cement (if properly applied) will never be seen.

Tape, OTOH, . . . will always be subject to drying out, . . . letting go, . . . and then you have a gap in that edge.

Contact cement is the best in my book, . . . it is my 99% product to use, . . . Elmer's white glue rounding out that last 1%.

Tape is also finnicky, funky, and hard to use compared to contact cement.

The suggestion of not bringing the tape all the way to the edge, . . . leaves an edge that undoubtedly will produce a gap between the layers, . . . not a desirable feature.

May God bless,

Dwight

Ditto what Dwight said...except for the white Elmer's glue part...and that's only 'cause I've never tried it. Been using the good 'ol Dap Weldwood Original Contact Cement (in the red can...the strong smellin' stuff!)...it's worked extremely well for me since way back in my cabinet/woodworking/laminatin' days and is available locally...see no reason to try anything else.

Lots of people on here with more experience than me but I use both but prefer glue.  I feel you have the advantage of the glue adding strength to the seam. Tape is a temporary and very weak handling ability. If you use barge or contact glue be sure to read the safety warnings.. I have built a vacuum table for my glue station and vent it outside. Works great.  Stay safe

I find the (Tandy) double-backed tape excellent to use for mounting zippers prior to stitching, I have tried various adhesives but found they tend to be messy ( for zippers anyways).

2 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

I find the (Tandy) double-backed tape excellent to use for mounting zippers prior to stitching, I have tried various adhesives but found they tend to be messy ( for zippers anyways).

Agree

Thank you for all the replies. I get the idea that the glue not only holds the work but keeps the edges locked together for a no gap edge finish?

I just recently used double-sided tape for the first time on a project. I found it at a local craft store, about 1/8 inch in width. I used it to help create interior slash-style wallet card pockets. 
For light leather, it's nice and quick, and straight, to hold the pieces together. I did not use it for outside edge seams (those were glued, clamped, and then let dry.)
For heavier leather, I don't think it'll work so well -- a good glue would be much more secure.

Edited by DJole

We have been using atv tape (double sided) for over 20 years.  The gun (Scotch atv 700) allows

for easy application ( about $25 on ebay).  Originally found in picture framing.  We started using

it in the motorcycle patch business.  We could use it to mount patches with no mess. It would

hold with ease for stitching.  In the winter we made leather products and used it for

taping fringe, applying labels and any application that needs temporary attachment  prior to

sewing.  Today we no longer have that business but still operate a online embroidery

custom patch business and tape is indispensable for mounting paper backing to embroidery

twill prior to embroidery.  Buy the 3m stuff and refrigerate the extra until use.

For stronger applications I use SEALALL contact cement from the Dollar Store, quick

set up ( about a minute ) and very strong.  Indispensable for my leather hobby. 

tx Lynn

I use 1/4" Basting tape for canvas & upholstery from Sailrite here is the link. This company is a great company with a lot of good info on canvas work..

https://www.sailrite.com/Seamstick-1-4-Basting-Tape-for-Canvas-50-Yds