chuck123wapati

old saddle question

I have this old saddle that the leather is totally ruined my question is can the tree be reused if it is still in decent shape? It may be a future project if I can. If I can disassemble it seems I would learn a lot by studying its construction and using the parts as patterns.

Dear Elk,

You bet.  In fact that's the way I first learned to construct a saddle.  First off, are you certain that the leather is not recoverable? I had an old Lichtenberger Fergeson that was harder than Chinese Arithmetic and I treated it for nearly 18 months, but it eventually came around and is now back in use.  As for "decent shape" -- either the tree is in good shape or it's not.  Remember that eventually someone will be riding this and covering up structural problems with leather will not serve them when/if they get into a jackpot.  Check for strength and integrity prior to attempting to re-build on the tree.  Good luck and let us see the result - or pictures in progress.

1 hour ago, SaddleBags said:

Dear Elk,

You bet.  In fact that's the way I first learned to construct a saddle.  First off, are you certain that the leather is not recoverable? I had an old Lichtenberger Fergeson that was harder than Chinese Arithmetic and I treated it for nearly 18 months, but it eventually came around and is now back in use.  As for "decent shape" -- either the tree is in good shape or it's not.  Remember that eventually someone will be riding this and covering up structural problems with leather will not serve them when/if they get into a jackpot.  Check for strength and integrity prior to attempting to re-build on the tree.  Good luck and let us see the result - or pictures in progress.

Thanks for the help! yea some of the leather may be good,  but some is mouse ate so parts would have to be replaced. I wont rebuild it if the tree is no good but I still might disassemble it to see how it goes together. Lived my whole life in Wyoming 5th generation, my mom and dad both grew up on ranches but I didn't and have ridden some but not had a lot of saddle time lol. 

My experience with older saddles is that if the leather is dried and has been neglected for a long time, the rawhide on the tree may be bad as well. Really check the tree to make sure it's good... that's the foundation. Your idea of taking it apart to see how it's made is a good one, that's how I learned. Repairing saddles is another way to see how they are put together. Good luck!

16 minutes ago, Cattledude said:

My experience with older saddles is that if the leather is dried and has been neglected for a long time, the rawhide on the tree may be bad as well. Really check the tree to make sure it's good... that's the foundation. Your idea of taking it apart to see how it's made is a good one, that's how I learned. Repairing saddles is another way to see how they are put together. Good luck!

Thank you I'll need it!