INCUS

Newbie needing tips, waterproofing flesh side of leather

Hey y'all!

I quite recently started working with leather, and I encountered something I wanted to ask people more knowledgeable than I am! 

I'm making a bag for toiletries, using quite thick leather (3-4 mm). I want the inside to be waterproof (so that it stand moisture from shower bottles, toothbrush etc), and I wonder if anyone has got some good ideas as to how that could be done?

I have thought about adding a layer of water resistant fabric, or a layer of thin leather, but perhaps due to the leather being so thick (or perhaps simply because I am still not so good :)), that looks really bad!

Is there a good way to waterproof the flesh side of the leather so that it can stand some moisture?

You could try sno seal or a variation  of that. ?

Personally, . . . I would line the thing with a plastic bag, . . . one that could be easily wiped out with a washcloth or paper towel.

Toothpaste, deodorant, soap, after shave, . . . eventually one or all of those will break thru your "waterproof", . . . and the bag will be ruined.

Line it, . . . your problem is solved.

May God bless,

Dwight

Beeswax it and call it a lifetime.

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

Beeswax it and call it a lifetime.

I have beeswax in several forms: pellets, block, and blended with paraffin wax. Which type would you use, and how would you apply it for best adherence?

I've done it a couple of ways. I would either rub a block of it into the flesh side and hit it with a heat gun/blow dryer or melt some (pellets or chunk doesn't much matter if melted, amirite?) and paint it on the flesh side and use heat to make sure it melts in. If you go this route it could get a bit blotchy on the hair side if the wax makes it through all the way. If you are dying it, expect it to darken a good bit but it should help with blotchiness.

If you fully impregnate the leather it'll be hard as all hell but it'll also be waterproof too. I made my son a dopp kit and waxed it and it is holding up way better than I imagined. He's hard on everything so I figured at a minimum it'd be all stained up but so far the wax has won!

You could also use some dubbin but it doesn't seem to be as waterproof as just beeswax does.

Edited by battlemunky
added some more words

Maybe  use an old shower curtain to cut up and use as a lining for the bag? ( or buy a cheap one) , something that can be easily cleaned with a cloth.  

HS 

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Maybe  use an old shower curtain to cut up and use as a lining for the bag? ( or buy a cheap one) , something that can be easily cleaned with a cloth.  

HS 

Shower curtain... what a great idea! One may be able to find a shower curtain with an interesting design. It would be waterproof and the proper thickness as well.

In the U.S. we call these Dopp kits. If you buy one at the store, it will be lined with vinyl. Mine is lined with solid yellow but you could be creative.

nick