Sign in to follow this  
coma44

has anyone tried the "polyamide thread" from black crown garage

Have a couple of projects in mind that I want to use heavy thread on and found this thread

https://thread.blackcrowngarage.com/

I see they have some really heavy stuff.

Any one here try it out yet? Any thoughts would be helpful

( thoughts asked ) .. My thought guess ? , polyamide  'might be' very similar feel to an para-Aramid thread/cord ( kevlar , nomex..etc.) . Aramid thread are pretty tough abrasion, UV resistant, but the Aramid threads ( if polyamide similar ? ) , Aramid ( i have couple rolls )  feel pretty rough abrasive texture .

Only way you will know for sure you can use it, is get 1 roll and see how it runs in your machines . . I just thinking .. ( Thread Tension ) and how nice smooth bonded thread flows and tensions so much better than stiffer and rough threads .

Edited by nylonRigging

On 11/12/2019 at 7:40 PM, nylonRigging said:

( thoughts asked ) .. My thought guess ? , polyamide  'might be' very similar feel to an para-Aramid thread/cord ( kevlar , nomex..etc.) . Aramid thread are pretty tough abrasion, UV resistant, but the Aramid threads ( if polyamide similar ? ) , Aramid ( i have couple rolls )  feel pretty rough abrasive texture .

Only way you will know for sure you can use it, is get 1 roll and see how it runs in your machines . . I just thinking .. ( Thread Tension ) and how nice smooth bonded thread flows and tensions so much better than stiffer and rough threads .

Here is the sales pitch from the website

POLYAMIDE 66 THREADS

Polyamide 66 Threads are made up of macromolecules with repeating units liked together by much stronger amid bonds (Chemical Bonds), rather than other threads that are held together by ester bonds.

These threads show high elasticity more than normal polyester and nylon threads that are more commonly available in the market. Therefore they are more suitable to sew curved shaped pieces of leather, vinyl or fabric without any signs of ungainly puckering and corrugations at the seams.

They have the properties of well wear resistance, high strength and controlled stretching, and are UV resistant, repel moisture and also color fade resistant. Due to these unique properties these threads have become very popular among various industries. They are preferred for stitching multi-ply leather gears and because the continuous filaments are tightly twisted and packed together. When in cross top stitching (French Stitching) the needle will not enter the center of the other top stitches and create a very consistent and uniform French Stitching when finished.

So I guess it is time to just jump in and try it.

Like nylonrigging suggested get a small spool and see how it works for your stuff. For my stuff so far I find bonded polyester better then bonded nylon.

kgg

I ordered some #92 a while back and i just had the chance to used on a simple card sleeve. 

LR needle in a Nakajima 341.I didn't have any issues with , nice vibrant colours , well priced , quality thread, i like it

_20191113_223519.JPG.c1e3679b401ac90499da61f40af16c26.JPG_20191113_223542.JPG.a94809f0438d7dbd91900cb8a62b86db.JPG

Thanks guys