DirtyDusty

Wade saddle mule tree

Anyone on here made any mule saddles?  I am wanting to build one, but not sure where to get a production tree. Also where is the best place to buy Herman oak or wicket Craig leather, by the side?

Many of the saddle manufacturers can put mule bars on trees.  You can get Herman Oak single sides from several suppliers Weaver, Springfield Leather and many others.  I believe you can get Wicket and Craig leather in single sides directly from them.  Here is a past post with some of the saddle tree manufactures on it.  It is an old post and prices have gone up but the tree makers in the post are still around.  There are others as well.    

Edited by bland
add information

I've bought a lot of Hermann Oak from Panhandle Leather. It's tannery run so the quality is variable. I've bought #1 from Montana Leather and Goliger. I haven't used Wicket & Craig.

Randy

I keep running in to dead ends. I am looking for a mule tree, without  going the one off customs route.  I checked with Bowden and got their Dennis Lane card kit. Measured the mule’  back and called them back. It’s an extra $200 for setting up, for a custom tree. Are their any other tree makers that have a stock tree with mule bars?

The $200 extra doesn't seem to be to bad for being able to get a tree that really fits well, $500 is pretty reasonable for a custom order tree.

Seems to me most other custom trees start at $1000.

For what materials cost to build a saddle I'd like to have one that fits well and is a pleasure to use.

2 hours ago, blue62 said:

The $200 extra doesn't seem to be to bad for being able to get a tree that really fits well, $500 is pretty reasonable for a custom order tree.

Seems to me most other custom trees start at $1000.

For what materials cost to build a saddle I'd like to have one that fits well and is a pleasure to use.

Total would be $600.  I don’t think it’s unfair pricing.  I was just trying to stay around $300-$350 for two reasons. 

First, this will be my first saddle, so  I would rather make mistakes on a cheaper tree than an expensive one.

second, the mule is only 3.5 years old, so from everything I have been told, he still has a lot of growing to do. If I get a tree that is made just to fit him, now, he’ll need another saddle in a couple of years. 

Am I off base in my thinking?

I don't believe your thinking is completely flawed, but I'm not sure you're going to get a tree for the price you want. I don't know if you can buy an off the shelf mule tree. I suggest you check with Timberline and Quality Mfg. I used Quality trees on most of the saddles that I have made.I think they are currently $500 + shipping. I'm not sure about Timberline. I looked at them at the Prescott show last year and they looked really good. I'll certainly consider them for my next saddle.

I would also consider how much bigger your mule will get and try to get the job done with one saddle.

Just my 2 cents.

Randy

No, not at all, I have very little experience with mules, but with horses about four different shapes of bars fit most horses, most likely it's the same for mules, you could get something to fit your body type of mule.   I noticed on bowdens website that none of the trees have real good descriptions of the bars, when you spoke with them did they have any suggestions for a stock tree that would possibly fit based on your measurements?

No the gentleman I spoke with said that looking at the pictures I sent, of the cards, that he could accommodate the mules back and add a little room for growth.  I see several saddle makers that say they have a couple of mule trees that cover most mules, but I am assuming at this point that they have their own specs and are not using stock bars from a tree maker. 

I have emailed HF, Steele, and precision, inquiring about mule bars.  No real response except for Bowden.  I did call Steele this afternoon and spoke with A lady their. She said they had 2 versions of mule bars and could have a finerglass covered tree done in 4-6 weeks or a bullhide done in @8 weeks. But, that the bullhide covering is outsourced to another vendor. So it could be delayed. 

What did you determine for tree size using the card system?  I have no experience with the Dennis Lane System.  Since many mules have shorter backs than horses, you may consider using  Arab measurements.  Another possibility would be to consider using a composite tree; like Chicago Stock Yards.  I've build on one of their trees, and it went quite well.  I feel your concern about doing the best you can, and what you make will be used.  I suggest calling Timberline, Randy is the owner, and see what he says.  Quality makes a very well made tree, and I do like their rawhide covering.  

I personally like the raw/bullhide cover over the fiberglass, it seems to hold nails and screws better,  the extra time is needed for drying it out after it's seen and nailed in the seat area, they are labor intensive because as the hide dries the seams need to be pounded flat and the nails set deeper due to shrinkage.

12 hours ago, steven1 said:

Did you ever find your mule tree?  

I ordered one this afternoon, from HF. Broadus wade with mule bars. Now I need to get my leather and hardware together.