Sign in to follow this  
westwood1

Best belt/gun belt leather an source

Hello was curious about best type of leather to use for a gun belt/ heavy belt. Read a double bend would be best. What others are good for this? Any input or source to buy said leather would be appreciated! 

We only use backs (double bend and double shoulders) running lengthwise, which goes along with what you already read. You could also get away with double shoulders cut into straps running perpendicular to a double bend cut, but you have less length and usually more wrinkles to deal with. Our favorite belt leather supplier is Wickett and Craig. If you call them and tell them what you are building, they will be very helpful with suggestions for the best cut and type of leather for what you are making.

Guys, help me please to understand one thing. I want to make ammunition for huntsmen, fishermen, tourists, WWI and WWII reenactors and now I try to find out - which leather is the best. First I planned to make my stuff on veg tanned leather, dyed with spirit dyes, and then finish it with appreture or apply carnauba wax. But few of my hunter friend said that after long and strong rain things made of veg tanned leather becomes unusable. So best leather for such stuff is a chrome tanned leather says few people who make such stuff. What do you think about it? I will be very grateful for the answers :)

@MCarlosED usually items like belts and ammunition carriers are made from Veg tanned leather.  Cartridge loops made of chrome tanned leather would be to soft and wouldn't hold the shells, same for belts.  I have no experience with carnauga wax, I just bought a bottle but haven't used it, but I have not had any failures using a top coat of resolene cut 50:50 with water.  Mop and Glo floor polish cut 50:50 with water also works but there is usually a slight flowery scent.

Todd

Edited by Hildebrand
Spelling

20 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

@MCarlosED usually items like belts and ammunition carriers are made from Veg tanned leather.  Cartridge loops made of chrome tanned leather would be to soft and wouldn't hold the shells, same for belts.  I have no experience with carnauga wax, I just bought a bottle but haven't used it, but I have not had any failures using a top coat of resolene cut 50:50 with water.  Mop and Glo floor polish cut 50:50 with water also works but there is usually a slight flowery scent.

Todd

Yea, but what about long rain from morning till evening? It’s a serious challenge for veg tanned leather

With leather everything is a give and take.  Best advice I have is get some chrome tanned and some veg tanned leather and make your products then test both and see what holds up better for your conditions.

Todd

11 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

With leather everything is a give and take.  Best advice I have is get some chrome tanned and some veg tanned leather and make your products then test both and see what holds up better for your conditions.

Todd

Thank you, Todd!) 

On 7/22/2020 at 10:55 AM, MCarlosED said:

Yea, but what about long rain from morning till evening? It’s a serious challenge for veg tanned leather

You take care of it the same way you would a saddle for example , veg tanning is thousands of years old so its been put through some rain storms.  I use neatsfoot oil and water proofing on my stuff before hand as well if they do get saturated i dry them well then apply some more  neatsfoot oil then re water proof. I wouldn't think your hunter friends would want to get thier ammo , guns and knives that wet either. Personally my belts are under my rain gear when its that bad or in the tent lol.

I have a differing opinion.  I use veg tan for the holster but prefer Buffalo or Bison for the belt

It is much stiffer and you can forget about the belt folding up due to the weight of the holster

as far as my holster being in the rain?  NEVER,  It is under my rain gear  If my holster is wet then my gun is wet and that my friend is Unacceptable

If your hunting buds are that concerned with water, Then learn to sew canvas  and use military web belts

20200111_174318.jpg

Edited by Frodo

Thank for your answers, guys! I decided to use latigo leather.