looking to make a few single ear loop headstalls- nothing fancy but sturdy and clean for everyday ranch use. I have been thinking of using H.O. 7/8 oz. Bridle leather doubled up and stitched for strength then buttered and hot oiled for feel and durability. I am getting stuck on the ear loop. It seems your general store-bought options are "ok" and functional but I saw a couple in Vegas last year that were rolled, almost hiding the stitching. I really liked this because it was really really well-made. The extra steps to round off and roll the loop made it less stiff but almost seemed stronger- if that makes sense? In addition, I really like how it would lay on the horses head as opposed to the general flat,strap-like generic ear loops.  Now my issue is I should have just bought it so I could dissect it and see how it was done.

Has anyone seen a loop like this? Do you have any processes for making them? What kind of leather do you prefer for headstalls/ bridles and how do you oil yours for that supple yet durable feel?

Thank you all in advance.

I might have something at home I can dissect for you.  I have/had a couple headstalls and reins like this and not sure how they were sewn.

That would be awesome! Thank you!

On 11/13/2019 at 11:18 AM, Smartee said:

I might have something at home I can dissect for you.  I have/had a couple headstalls and reins like this and not sure how they were sewn.

Any luck on figuring this style?!

Oops!  Sorry!  Been out of the office and wasn't able to log in from home because I can't remember my password :(  I'll take a look this evening.

19 hours ago, Smartee said:

Oops!  Sorry!  Been out of the office and wasn't able to log in from home because I can't remember my password :(  I'll take a look this evening.

Ain't that the truth- in this modern world of passwords, I can hardly ever remember username/ passwords for each site.

No rush, I really appreciate your help!

-Nick

I dug some out last night.  Have to dissect for the details :)

Hi here is a quick draft of the one I use on my sliding ear bridle.

its really basic can be tweaked to change it up

hope this helps

7C6336FA-02EA-4DB5-ACEC-CC1E8D7F04AB.jpeg

On 1/27/2020 at 7:18 PM, Kj86 said:

Hi here is a quick draft of the one I use on my sliding ear bridle.

its really basic can be tweaked to change it up

hope this helps

7C6336FA-02EA-4DB5-ACEC-CC1E8D7F04AB.jpeg

Awesome! Thank you- what is the width from outside to outside?!

Your welcome hope it helped. 

The width from outside to outside will vary depending how how wide you make the ear piece. I generally make them the same width as the crown of my bridle especially for the working ones, 5/8”-3/4”.

Not sure if you'd still like to know this...made one of these not too long ago - still have to mould the ear loop a bit to get it to lay flat. Worked it by hand for a bit (while damp) and it lays flat just fine. Did have to toss a few initial attempts - if not long enough...not sure it'll ever lay flat.