Redhed

Twin needle sewing zippers question

Hi Guys

I have a question about presser feet on twin needle machines. I have a lot of cushions to recover and want to put zippers in the new ones. I was contemplating using my newly aquired Singer 212g141.

I notice the standard presser foot would be an issue as I would need the zipper teeth to pass under the centre of the foot and this would lift the foot and cause issues in keeping the work straight.

Is there a foot for such jobs? Presuming it would need some form of tunnel or cutaway to let let the zipper pass without  it gliding along the teeth. Anyone have any suggestions for a presser foot or a modification to one?

Thank you

Yes, there are zipper feet. But not sure if anyone uses double needle to saw zippers in. They are for strap attachment.

You may have to buy an extra presser outside/rear presser foot, or set, and grind off the right toe and side to clear the zipper teeth. The inside foot may also need to be ground down along the right side. Zipper feet are usually quite narrow and normally have teeth on the bottom.

You will probably have to remove the right needle to use a zipper foot set.

I have seen such an feet / device on an double needle adler 167

there is an picture of it in the adler 167 leaflett (page 5) 

http://www.duerkopp-adler.com/commons/download/download-text-attachments/Vintage_Leaflets_Adler/Leaflets_Adler_Class_167_part2.pdf

Its a different machine but it gives an idea how this could work

Also ... What Wizcraft is saying .
Personally, I have Feet that I ground short on L-R side and toe, to accommodate Zippers on those 212 Feet . I almost always use double-needle to zippers and 212 model/type machine the most to do . And I run 3/16" gauge, run both sides of Zippers most often .

Your asking ? , for a 212 Foot with a center channel-slot for teeth to flow thew, and a gauge needle-set to single needle both sides of teeth at same time on a run ?
I never seen one made for the 212 style high-shank Feet,  with a zipper center slot before .  I don't think such a factory item was ever made . I would likely be a one-off custom Foot, if you ever would find one for the 112 -212 .

That 212 Foot you are wanting would be pretty cool to have for certain zipper applications for sure . Doing both sides the same time . Running the foot right over the top/center, with a needle on both side doing L-R zipper panel same time . But the technique I use most often with Zippers, is sewing Right and Left sides of the zippers separate on there panels, then zipping them together when finished .

I have found on ebay a double needle zipper foot that is adjustable in width This would do the job I think. The issue is it has the shank edge on, not square on so will not fit the 212. Have asked them if they  can make them with a a side on shank. Will update when I get an answer. Or I might take my half inch foot to an engineerr and have the centre ground away, only issue is a separate foot for each zipper width.

s-l1600 double needle zipper foot.jpg

Edited by Redhed
add picture.

7 hours ago, Redhed said:

I have found on ebay a double needle zipper foot that is adjustable in width This would do the job I think. The issue is it has the shank edge on, not square on so will not fit the 212. Have asked them if they  can make them with a a side on shank. Will update when I get an answer. Or I might take my half inch foot to an engineerr and have the centre ground away, only issue is a separate foot for each zipper width.

s-l1600 double needle zipper foot.jpg

Ya your shank is wrong direction to work on 212 . But i am staring at a 212 presser foot,  and looking at your Pic. of the foot you posted .
If you are comfortable to prefabbing making a hybrid of both presser feet ? .

I think if it were me . if you take the 212 Foot, and cut-off the foot , leaving it's shank and hinged base together . 'throw away' , double-needle flat foot .
Then ( cut ) do same with that Adj. zipper foot you posted, taking off it's shank and hinge, 'throw away' .   and keep, leaving it Adj. Press-Foot ' flat ' on top .
Then marry them together, solder or braze 212 shank and hinge, to the adjustable zipper base . you could have something that would work .

Edited by nylonRigging

You might could rotate the presser bar 90 degrees and see if the holes in the zipper foot still let the needle pass through. It would be a cheap trick if it works.

AHhhhhh .. never thought that , sometime the easy route is hardest to see ...LOL
That would be easy just to rotate presser rod 90 deg. like you say,  good just to dedicate one machine to just zippers if you got to do a big run of them . If wanting to swap feet back and forth for different jobs though it would be a little more work, but loosening and turning the presser rod not that hard . on the backside of the 112 Just take pressure off the presser foot with the leaf-spring pushing down . Or on the 212 just unscrew top cap remove spring and rotate.

I would buy a separate w.f. machine for zippers that takes a left or right toe foot. It could also be your piping machine. A Singer 111w155 or 156 would do the trick. Any modern walking foot machine will do.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:03 PM, nylonRigging said:

Ya your shank is wrong direction to work on 212 . But i am staring at a 212 presser foot,  and looking at your Pic. of the foot you posted .
If you are comfortable to prefabbing making a hybrid of both presser feet ? .

I think if it were me . if you take the 212 Foot, and cut-off the foot , leaving it's shank and hinged base together . 'throw away' , double-needle flat foot .
Then ( cut ) do same with that Adj. zipper foot you posted, taking off it's shank and hinge, 'throw away' .   and keep, leaving it Adj. Press-Foot ' flat ' on top .
Then marry them together, solder or braze 212 shank and hinge, to the adjustable zipper base . you could have something that would work .

Will give that some thought, a little job for the winter months.

( for soldering the 2 parts together ) .  for a starting point to get the alignment correct between the 212 shank and hinge, married to the new Adj. presser-foot , and off-set distance and alignment to 2 feed-dog needle holes . Put 'screw' the 212 shank on the machines presser foot bar . with the new foot taped over the top of the dogs on needle plate , then lower down and scribe a connection point for solder or braze.

Your going to have to commit to setting-up another gauge-set anyway ( needle clamp, foot and dogs and needle plate ) on the machine to get it all going for the proper stitch width . So to get it right for the #-size of zipper tooth width your planing on sewing on . You will be setting up that machine for One specific job, for the time it is being used .

edit add: .. Old 112/212 heads are cheap cost-$ . So it good if you got room anyway to have more that one double-needle ....LOL ..  I like to have 2 or 3 going at one time setup for specific jobs as it makes things easier, faster, with better looking jobs . right now have 2 setup. one inside-seam and one setup or outside seam tape binding .

Also don't forget old 112/212 machines .  that you can run several ( already set-up sew machine Heads ) on 1 motor table 'all share same table' . If your sew room is tight , because they will all take the same table cutout . the most you will have to do is just keep the multiple set-up Heads and a fitting length drive-belt for each, on a good sturdy shelf-rack off to the side of the shop to grab and use anytime you want.

Edited by nylonRigging

The time savings from stitching both sides of the zipper simultaneously seem to pale in comparison with the complexity of this project from my POV. What's the problem with conventional stitching of the zippers on a single needle machine with a dedicated foot set?

I’m confused how both sides of any zipper can be sewn at the same time on a cushion cover or any fully enclosed “bag”.....

Edited by DonInReno
Edit: my mistake - the zipper is sewn to two separate panels first, then assembled into the cushion cover. Duh! Lol