Cleatherdesigns

Customer doesn’t want a maker’s mark

So I do mostly custom leather goods. Lately I’ve had a man and his both placing orders but they are both requesting no Maker’s Mark. Now I’ve never thought about it much and I am doing custom items for people, so I do everything to fit their needs. But this?  I’ve never ran into this. I’ve suggested putting it in an inconspicuous area but they both prefer no mark whatsoever. I know them very well so not worried that they are wanting to resell my stuff.  Anyone have any advice? Especially if I start running into it more often. 

I do a lot of custom holsters, in my opinion a custom piece means no makers mark. I have never had an issue with it. The work sells itself and i feel has actually gotten me more work. people like to brag about their quality and custom items and tend to show them off. as long as the work is superior they will let others know it was you that did it. and the product will advertise itself well.

I did custom work for YEARS without a "mark".  I do have a couple here, but I think it's mostly just an ego problem.  Much like the small guy often feels the need to be loudest.  If you're in it to sell goods, and you are selling goods, I dont see a problem.

I think there are a few pieces that there just isn’t a good place to put a Maker’s mark but most anything else I make gets a Maker’s mark! It’s just like anything else you buy, it’s going to have a brand, a label, or identifying mark no mater what the item is big or small.  Granted I don’t do this for I living but I have made and sold I lot of leather work in 50 plus years of making and building leather goods, if you don’t want my Maker’s mark on something I make then you can get it elsewhere! Just my policy right or wrong! Thanks Rodney 

12 hours ago, Cleatherdesigns said:

but they are both requesting no Maker’s Mark.

You will absolutely find that these "maker mark" things are important only to the mind of the maker.  Customer really doesn't care about that at all.

I'm in the middle... use a mark, don't use a mark, whatever - no matter to me either way.  Just don't get the cart before the horse - I've seen SO many "makers" with a shiny "maker stamp" who really don't do so well with the leather.  $50 for a "maker mark" and $4 leather just isnt' the way to go... put teh leather first and you'll do fine.

Personally, I put the 'mark' NOT at the top of the list of things to do to my leather.  Sometimes, projects get out the door without it.  And if somebody were to request there NOT be one, not a problem here.  More important to make the GOODS memorable (if they aren't , you don't want your name on there anyway, right?)

I have a fairly large (1.5") custom makers mark that I very proudly put on every piece . . . when I first got it.

Now it usually gets left off because I just forget . . . or maybe I'm just lazy.---j

You could put your mark on a leather tag, then they can remove it and keep it if they want. Everyone is happy. 

I have a customer that insists on a mark, and I even had to put some in after delivery because I forgot.
Why do they keep bugging me about it?
Because an artist should sign their work...

If they are paying for a custom piece, I would have no qualms about them not wanting a mark.  As far as resale, as soon as they buy it from you they are free to sell it because they now own it.  So I don't think that is an issue either.

The only negative I could see is if you made something for somebody and they tried to pass it off as their own work.  But that is certainly not the case with this couple.

A lot of good opinions on here. Thank you all. You’re definitely correct in saying that the product should come first.  I also feel that all of the custom orders I do are all created by me using their vision as a guide, so it kind of makes me want my stamp on it as the creator/artist. At the end of the day, I am confident that they love their pieces enough to spread my name regardless of whether I stamp it or not.

There are definitely arguments on both sides of this issue. 

I have had some previous co-workers that were very disappointed when I forgot to put my stamp on, but these people knew me on a personal level.

OCD people probably see a stamp as a blemish, especially generic stamps like mine. Beautiful stamps are probably much more welcome, such as JLS's stamp.

If they are not OCD, then perhaps they are agents, possibly International and wear watches and clothing with no marks of origin. 

Whatever... it is a custom product and that means giving them what they want.

nick

Put your MM inside between the leather. It is ridiculous for them to make such a request. period

I don't use a MM, because when I make it, its mine, when he/she/or it pays for the item, it doesn't belong to me any more.

Howard

11 hours ago, Reaper said:

Put your MM inside between the leather. It is ridiculous for them to make such a request. period

Treating customers as idiots, is a good way to ruin your reputation, and for what

I'll throw in my $2 worth (inflation)

For over 20 years I made custom medieval style items with no maker's mark. Only year before last I got one made. Sometimes I use it sometimes I don't

But - see below,

On 11/14/2019 at 1:04 PM, JLSleather said:

You will absolutely find that these "maker mark" things are important only to the mind of the maker.  Customer really doesn't care about that at all.

Some customers do care  plus its handy to see who made it in cases of returned work. I've had several items come to me, supposedly my work returned cos it was shoddy or falling apart. The customer swearing blind they bought it from me at a such'n'such craft fair. On two occasions there was a maker's mark which I showed the punter ~~ 'Not mine - his', on other occasions I had to argue that I never attended any such craft fairs - I never did attend them, punters found me, usually down in t'pub. I got the maker's mark stamp made cos customers wanted my stamp on it, so they could show others they got it from me. Its embarrassing really but its like an artist signing one of their paintings.

If the customer doesn't want your stamp on it then don't put it on.

I have a simple rule which has solved arguments in designs, patterns et cetera - who is paying the bill? they get what they want

Over the years I have had requests for holsters without markings of any kind.

One was for a gentleman in Israel, paid in cash and provided only a post office box address for delivery.

One order was for 6 holsters sent to a US special forces team. They were deploying (undisclosed destination) and would be issued pistols on arrival, but wanted no markings on any of their gear.

In such cases I assumed these were people involved in some type of clandestine work. I did not argue with them, I just got the work done.

I sign my name and date  my work if there is somewhere to put it, on the other hand someone orders something and doesn't want it signed no big deal.

My grandfather was a wood carver, about a year ago my uncle saw a Christmas ornament laying in a parking lot, he was only 80% sure it was my grandfathers work , until he picked it up and had my grandfathers signature on it. If he would have not signed it deep down we may have know it was his work but could not have proved it.

I guess for me, it's not an ego or pride thing. It's more of a accountability thing. Many will not understand that. 

Chris

17 minutes ago, sinpac said:

I guess for me, it's not an ego or pride thing. It's more of a accountability thing. Many will not understand that. 

Chris

In the last 8 er 10 days, I talked with 2 customers exactly opposite about this.

• one guy who won't buy anything unless the "maker" puts his label on it.  Says if you won't "mark" it, must not be proud of it or "stand behind it". 
  • one guy says he hates anything with a "logo" or "mark" on it... don't want it on there anywhere, though he was okay with a small something ON THE BACK.  

:dunno:

Maybe I should have some smaller ones made?  Aint much room on a pocket holster fer a P238 ... :o

6 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

In the last 8 er 10 days, I talked with 2 customers exactly opposite about this.

• one guy who won't buy anything unless the "maker" puts his label on it.  Says if you won't "mark" it, must not be proud of it or "stand behind it". 
  • one guy says he hates anything with a "logo" or "mark" on it... don't want it on there anywhere, though he was okay with a small something ON THE BACK.  

:dunno:

Maybe I should have some smaller ones made?  Aint much room on a pocket holster fer a P238 ... :o

I have one that is 1" across and 3/4" tall. I am thinking about making it smaller as well. not so intrusive. I have had fold ask not to put a maker stamp on too. I am fine with that as well. I will point out when I am looking at holsters at gun shows, I do find myself looking for the makers make. 1) to see if the maker is keep up his or her standards and 2) to see if they are local.

On 11/15/2019 at 10:23 AM, fredk said:

I'll throw in my $2 worth (inflation)

For over 20 years I made custom medieval style items with no maker's mark. Only year before last I got one made. Sometimes I use it sometimes I don't

But - see below,

Some customers do care  plus its handy to see who made it in cases of returned work. I've had several items come to me, supposedly my work returned cos it was shoddy or falling apart. The customer swearing blind they bought it from me at a such'n'such craft fair. On two occasions there was a maker's mark which I showed the punter ~~ 'Not mine - his', on other occasions I had to argue that I never attended any such craft fairs - I never did attend them, punters found me, usually down in t'pub. I got the maker's mark stamp made cos customers wanted my stamp on it, so they could show others they got it from me. Its embarrassing really but its like an artist signing one of their paintings.

If the customer doesn't want your stamp on it then don't put it on.

I have a simple rule which has solved arguments in designs, patterns et cetera - who is paying the bill? they get what they want

Sir, in the above post, you made reference to punter.  Would you please educate me as to the meaning?

Punter = an Ulsterism or Scots for a paying customer

Kinda in the same boat as JLS. Got a repeat customer that insists that I put my mark on ever'thang...real prominent like so that it can be seen (I usually place it inconspicuously on the back side of holsters or inside of portfolios and wallets, etc). One holster I made for him irritated him somehow and rather than consult with me so we could remedy the issue (which might have included me replacing it altogether), he "fixed" it himself (i.e. he butchered it by cutting off the sweat shield where I normally put my MM and removed said extra layer of leather,  and "smoothed the edges himself with dish soap  :blink: :huh: ).  He was very proud of his "handiwork" and sent me a picture. My response was as expected: any warranty related to that item was subsequently voided and I fully expected him to NEVER tell a LIVING SOUL where he had that item crafted. He seemed immune to the insult...he has since purchased several other items from me (holsters, belts, etc). 

John Q Public is a fickle beast, indeed...

I use a very small makers mark that's only 9/16" across. I have a larger one and thought it looked too billboard-ish. I figured it's more about the leather than the mark and someone who wants to know who made it can find it. 

I've had people ask to leave them off and I do, and I've had people ask for bigger but I threw that stamp away. One customer even asked me to make him a key chain with my makers mark on it, said I should include one with every order.. lol. I didn't tell him I spent almost as much time making him a one-off keychain as I did the sheath he ordered.