Rylando

Steel rule and bender question

So I've got my pattern and I want to make a clicker die for it! Where do you all buy your Steel rule in the USA? and what type? I was thinking Universal 60? 

Also what steel rule benders do you use?

Or do you just buy them? To me it seems fairly simple to make with a bender and the steel rule. 

steel rule is typically inset into a wood base that has had the pattern cut in... depending on complexity you can bend it and screw the sides into a wooden shape such as a rectangle.

to bend the shape you use a bender... small newer types are out there cheap whereas a commercial one will cost you 1000 at a shop auction or on eBay

I have an old rejuvenated bender for steel rule.

Don't get the idea that this is a piece of cake. High learning curve and expensive. I bought my bender at a good price, it weighs about 50 pounds. Dies are expensive and you need quite a few to make much of anything. Specialty router bits for cutting the grooves. A die cutter to cut accurately. Steel rule resists bending, Several thicknesses and widths available. I enjoy doing the dies, no intention of doing it for anyone but myself.

Ferg

I have dies made FOR me.  I just use 'em.

I also don't build my own cars - just drive 'em.

Can't be in all the places all the time.  And that's a consideration too -- if I got the stuff to make my own dies, WHERE would I PUT it?@! $2k for stuff to make some dies, $35k for addition on the building.

I have the building, I have maybe $1000 in tooling and equipment, probably have four or five thousand dollars worth of dies for various and sundry items. I can make whatever I want at any time. I have a CNC two head router and write my own programs.

Seems that is called convenience.

Ferg

1 minute ago, Ferg said:

I have the building, I have maybe $1000 in tooling and equipment, probably have four or five thousand dollars worth of dies for various and sundry items. I can make whatever I want at any time. I have a CNC two head router and write my own programs.

Seems that is called convenience.

Ferg

I don't think I was looking at getting that crazy into it, but it looked like a manual steel rule bender and a cutout of board would work. Bend the steel rule to the shape around the plywood or board and secure it to the board? That is just the impression I got from looking at this stuff, I tend to try to make things the hard way myself before I realize its easier to just buy them, haha. 

I know, I have been called more than crazy for having all the different use equipment I have gathered over my 70 years of questionable adult life. I am not 

counting the 16 years before I supposedly became an adult. LOL

Try anything you wish. Some times that works, some times it doesn't.

Ferg