Lucasn7

Move bobbin assembly Pfaff 346-H3

Hi, i own a Pfaff 346-H3, the double needle version of the Pfaff 335. I have this problem where the left needle scrapes the ring of the left bobbin assembly. When that happens the thread and/or needle breaks. Usually i only sew with te right needle but at this moment i'm working on a workpiece that is to large to fit under the arm. On closer inspection you can see that the left bobbin case assembly is closer to the feed dog than the right case assembly. Also you can see needle scraping marks on the assembly. I've loosend all the screws i saw but still it cannot move. I have loosened all the related screws I saw, but there is no movement yet. Does anybody have experience with this?

Forward thanks! 

IMG_20190912_164810 copy.jpg

Damage.jpg

There has to be a way to move the left saddle  for the hook.    Take the left hook out and send us a few close ups of the left saddle.

glenn

There's 2-screws one in the front & one in the back @ the same place.

Pfaff 346 saddle screws.jpg

Have you checked the manual about how to adjust the position for using a different needle spacing? That may tell you how to move what you need to move.

On 2/6/2020 at 2:55 PM, CowboyBob said:

There's 2-screws one in the front & one in the back @ the same place.

Pfaff 346 saddle screws.jpg

Hi! Thanks for your reply, i have not looked at leatherworker eversince and now i have a few replys :). I already loosend and removed the screws but the left hook assembly is still rock solid. I thought maybe there will be some more screws i'm missing.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:17 PM, Gunnarsson said:

Have you checked the manual about how to adjust the position for using a different needle spacing? That may tell you how to move what you need to move.

Good suggestion. I've cheched the original manual but i did not find how to change it. It tells me how to change the needle but not how to account for a different spacing. 

With the screws removed, could there be dried oil keeping it frozen acting like a glue?

1 hour ago, Lucasn7 said:

Hi! Thanks for your reply, i have not looked at leatherworker eversince and now i have a few replys :). I already loosend and removed the screws but the left hook assembly is still rock solid. I thought maybe there will be some more screws i'm missing.

Maybe it is stuck,you might want to tap the casting it alittle (carefully) w/a hammer & screwdriver.

Very, very  carefully as Bob says!!!!

glenn

On 4/3/2020 at 7:53 PM, CowboyBob said:

Maybe it is stuck,you might want to tap the casting it alittle (carefully) w/a hammer & screwdriver.

Indeed! It worked! I've moved the left assembly enough so that there is the same space between both needles and hooks. Now the next problem. I can feel (and hear) a bit more play in the gears of the left hook. I've moved the assembly to the left so there is more space between the angular gears. I've tried to loosen the screws on the left gear and gently tap it to the left but it won't move a bit. Any suggestions? Forward thanks!

IMG_1161.jpg

You have to "break" it loose too.Put a screwdriver carefully in the bottom of the groove & tap it to spin on on the shaft.

Carefully as Bob says!!!

glenn

If you've got a pin-point heat source you could try that to break it free.

On 4/6/2020 at 2:03 PM, CowboyBob said:

You have to "break" it loose too.Put a screwdriver carefully in the bottom of the groove & tap it to spin on on the shaft.

That worked. Thanks to all of you who replied!