Hey all! New member here, semi-new leatherworker. 
I’ve been having issues with my antique chipping off during the hand sewing process. I’ve tried quite a few different finish options: neat lac, tan kote, super sheene, rtc, Leather sheen, top finish (from eco-flo), and resolene. 
I don’t really want to switch from Fiebings paste, but I’m at my wits end! 

I’m also having issues with it sitting in my pear shade on flowers (both matte pear shade and smooth), and some custom stamps. I use soft cotton to wipe the antique, since I kind of hate working with wool. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

Here is an example of the chipping and one of the custom stamps that doesn’t hold antique. I end up either painting or dyeing the interior of the stamp to create the effect. 

D05142E9-436A-4492-8F88-177E33200F01.jpeg

B6E50EB8-A060-4D1C-B0C4-171D72C1BF3B.jpeg

You are not getting the excess off, and you never will using rags or cotton.  Wool, either real or synthetic, is the only way I have found to do it right

Hope this helps

Terry

So follow up question, why would the wool wipe all the antique out of that large stamp pattern? I don’t have this issue with the smaller stamp. 

You stated you were having problems with it sitting where you have used a pear shader. That would not be a large stamp. Wool will get it out.

Terry