luxuryluke

TandyPro Cobra machines

I'd mentioned it the other day when I received the mailer, but in case you hadn't heard, I find it interesting that Tandy is now selling Cobra machines. Not affiliated in any way.

Here is the mailer I received last week:

74CF7134-2A9F-4B3B-836F-E1FD04408E54.thumb.jpeg.80ea64c0cf33a9c957517e0f035279c9.jpeg

This morning I just received an email from Tandy about it on their website, which is new, fyi: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/tandypro-cobra-machines.html

Anyway, I really like the Cobra machines, so I found this an interesting twist in the direction Tandy is going.

I believe it is nationwide, but you have to order it most all stores do not stock any of the machines!

I don't see any advantage to buying through Tandy.  You don't get the 15% business discount and you still pay a flat rate $300 shipping cost.  Price is the same as if you bought direct for Leather Machine Co.  I was hoping you could try them at the store and purchase there, but you can't.

I was also excited to learn that Tandy is now carrying the Cobra line of sewing machines, as I was hoping to get my business discount, and/or at the very least, pick one up at the store so I would not have to pay shipping. But I can confirm what Keplerts posted above, you get neither.  As a matter of fact, in doing a comparison (based on Tandy's brochure, and https://leathermachineco.com/ website), it appears you get more accessories buying direct.  So the question is, "Why would anyone want to buy a Cobra machine from Tandy?")  One would think that with the volume of new Cobra customers that Tandy could bring to the table, they would get some kind of incentive to pass along to their customers, that would make their customer want to buy from Tandy. I see none. The only benefit is that you can demo a machine at Tandy, if you are lucky enough to live near one of the 12 Tandy locations that have floor demo models.  The list of stores can be found here: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/tandypro-cobra-machines.html.

I know that Tandy once again is having some financial difficulties and have been making changes the last year or so to keep existing and attract new customers. This move though does nothing to help with their problem.  As a business customer, I am not going to go to my Tandy store and demo a Cobra machine, and then walk out with some supplies as an afterthought. Quite the contrary, next time I need to go to Tandy for supplies, I will take a some extra time to demo the machine, so no added profit for Tandy by having floor models to demo.

Having a minimum of one of the following criteria met, would be enough incentive for me to buy a Cobra machine from Tandy.

1. Honoring a business discount even if it is not the full discount but at the very least 5%.
  2. Offering more included accessories than you would get by buying direct, or better yet, a Tandy exclusive accessory pack at no extra charge.
  3. Having shipping paid for if you picked it up at your nearest Tandy location.

The sad part is, I have a Tandy business account (have spent thousands there), yet they probably will not get my business, and I am in the market for my first leather sewing machine.

Edited by RemingtonSteel