PappysLeather

Spraying dyes and sealers

I am wanting to spay leather dyes and sealers. I started with just sealers using air brushes but they quit spraying. I had someone tell me they use big spray guns. I was wondering what others are using. What is the best?

Pappy, . . . I don't mean to sound like an ogre, . . . but the 99% cause of sprayers not spraying is simple:  not properly cleaned.

Little air sprayers work like a champ, . . . but are a pain to clean and keep clean, . . . at least that has been my experience.

That is why mine are all on the shelf and I use brushes.

May God bless,

Dwight

I have cleaned them but I still cannot get them to work

I use a cheap air brush from Harbor Freight to spray acrylic finishes as well as oil dyes.  Works great, simple to keep clean, and if I need to replace it I only have to spend @$10.

Gary

I've been using cheap air brushes for years. If I spray 2oz of finish or dye, I spray 4-5 oz through of clean water  immediately when I'm done. If yours won't spray, there is a block somewhere, or the pressure of the air compressor is too low.

16 hours ago, PappysLeather said:

I am wanting to spay leather dyes and sealers. I started with just sealers using air brushes but they quit spraying. I had someone tell me they use big spray guns. I was wondering what others are using. What is the best?

It's most likely nothing wrong with your airbrush.
Number one thing to do when using sealers in an AB is to reduce properly. Sealers are usually very thick and 1. won't work at all or 2. will clog your nozzle very quickly if not reduced. Clean thoroughly, reduce the sealer and try again.
Even reduced they will cause tip dry and clog up quickly so spray some cleaner through periodically while working.

Unless you're making huge pieces of leather like bike seats etc, there's no need for an HVLP gun.

G'Day, 

I have  done some spraying with dyes & sealers . 

Here is my little  set up for spraying . I have two ' touch up guns' like the blue  one in the pic. One for dye , one for sealer .  I always take them apart after  each use give them a good clean and soak parts in acetone or thinner etc.   The compressor is self explanatory, .....that brand is no longer made ha !!     :) But it still works fine, touchwood  :)

I have never put sealer through my air brush , only dye,  most of which are water based with a little bit of alcohol for drying purposes. 

The simple  little bag was  just a test piece. I used the air brush for the contrasting colour around the edge, and the other spray gun for the sealer. I also thinned out the sealer with water. 

HS   

Air Brushing Pics 007.jpg

Air Brushing Pics 008.jpg

Air Brushing Pics 015.jpg

8 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Wouldn't denatured alcohol be the best cleaner for an airbrush? I don't know, just asking.

nick

if it's water based dye or topcoat, water is fine

19 hours ago, PappysLeather said:

No one has mentioned two things

1. gravity feed versus suction feed airbrushes. I use gravity feed, it needs less air pressure and a less powerful compressor

2. the capacity of the compressor - its rated free air delivery, it FAD rating. The greater the FAD the longer you can work at any air pressure

Edited by fredk

2 hours ago, robs456 said:

It's most likely nothing wrong with your airbrush.
Number one thing to do when using sealers in an AB is to reduce properly. Sealers are usually very thick and 1. won't work at all or 2. will clog your nozzle very quickly if not reduced. Clean thoroughly, reduce the sealer and try again.
Even reduced they will cause tip dry and clog up quickly so spray some cleaner through periodically while working.

Unless you're making huge pieces of leather like bike seats etc, there's no need for an HVLP gun.

Super/satin shene and resolene are relatively thin and I've run both through my AB fine without thinning. Resolene I do thin but I also thin it when using a sponge to apply it. It's also not a high end 0.2mm nozzle set either.  Maybe with smaller nozzles they should be thinned more.  Tan Kote I won't even put near my AB

9 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Wouldn't denatured alcohol be the best cleaner for an airbrush? I don't know, just asking.

nick

you need the proper solvent for the product you have sprayed, water based acrylic =water for example. Your cleaner needs to be able to dissolve whatever you are attempting to clean up. Most finishes and paints list the proper solvents for this job.

3 hours ago, Halitech said:

It's also not a high end 0.2mm nozzle set either.  Maybe with smaller nozzles they should be thinned more. 

I use a 0.5 nozzle for sealers. Sometimes a 0.3 with thinned Angelus finish.
My favorite right now is the Jacquard Clear Varnish.

Does anybody know if it's worth the time to run dye through cheese cloth or panty hose in order to remove anything that may cause a clog?  Or is that just done with paint?

I have yet to run into a dye that has anything to clog an airbrush.  Can't hurt to filter it, tho.

- Bill

On 11/24/2019 at 4:13 PM, billybopp said:

I have yet to run into a dye that has anything to clog an airbrush.  Can't hurt to filter it, tho.

- Bill

Hey Bill,

Has anyone ever told you that you look like Santa Clause?

It's been two weeks since I logged on here; just now seeing your reply.  I like to make sure I thank people who offer their input so, thanks!

I was hoping this was the case.  I guess I'll wait and see if I get any lumpy dye before I start straining it. 

Below is what prompted my question.  It's a cordless, hand held air brush I recently got so I can create gradients, color blends and edges.  It gets its power via USB and has a solid run time of 1.5 hours. I've never owned an airbrush before so I have nothing to compare to, but so far I'm happy with the results I've been getting.

air-brush.jpg

Edited by zzmikeg