Hey guys,making a kangaroo wallet and blade sheath for a customer.

Is there anything about kangaroo I should be aware off?Edge finishing.Etc just looking for any tips for this Leather

I have used kangaroo for a few wallets and really love it! I have not made a blade sheath so I don't have any suggestions for using kangaroo for that. 

While making a wallet I found if I make the pieces a little bit bigger than the final wallet will be, it allows a little wiggle room while glueing and stitching. Then when everything is stitched I use a round knife to cut through all the layers of kangaroo to give me a perfect edge .I am just trimming the edges, ever so slightly, to be exactly even.  I think if I used a regular knife to cut the kangaroo it might pull. Then I used edge paint to finish the edges without having to do any sanding.

14 hours ago, TomWisc said:

I have used kangaroo for a few wallets and really love it! I have not made a blade sheath so I don't have any suggestions for using kangaroo for that. 

While making a wallet I found if I make the pieces a little bit bigger than the final wallet will be, it allows a little wiggle room while glueing and stitching. Then when everything is stitched I use a round knife to cut through all the layers of kangaroo to give me a perfect edge .I am just trimming the edges, ever so slightly, to be exactly even.  I think if I used a regular knife to cut the kangaroo it might pull. Then I used edge paint to finish the edges without having to do any sanding.

Thanks brother!If it is veg tan,it should Burnish well the, correct? Even doing Natty veg tan, I don't do much sanding anymore when I burnish and I still get great results

so if you make a wallet out of kangaroo will it have its own pocket to keep itself in? 

20 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

so if you make a wallet out of kangaroo will it have its own pocket to keep itself in? 

LOL You're pretty sharp for this time of morning, Chuck.

On 11/15/2019 at 2:40 PM, KennethM said:

Thanks brother!If it is veg tan,it should Burnish well the, correct? Even doing Natty veg tan, I don't do much sanding anymore when I burnish and I still get great results

If it's veg tan then yes, it will burnish. If it's already dyed, be very careful. Been talking to a bunch of people that were sold what they were told was veg tan roo but is actually chrome tanned.