rivermountainman

Beaver Tail

Howdy do folks...

Just wondering if anyone has a good source they could share for Tanned Beaver tails? Ive tried to contact peterpalms.com but never have any luck getting through ( & their website is kinda weired to navigate, looks more on the wholesale job lots sort of thing... No harm in trying i guess)....

Im looking for one or two Tanned (bark tanned whatever) XL Tails, around size 13" x 6" (" inch)... I would be looking to dye them with oil based dyes prossibly with feibing saddle tan..... Obviously Id prefer somewhere online that accepts payplal, save me having to change down sterling to dollars then send recorded delivery of dollars from uk to us blah blah blah...

Cheers

Matt

Edited by rivermountainman

Thats a pretty nice looking leather, Ive never heard of anyone using these, what exactly are they used for primarily?

DANG, I see that a polar bear skin rug is 5,000 bucks. I bought one at a yard sale a few years back in perfect condition - felt lined for 150.00. Thought I made out like a bandit when I sold it for 300.00

Thats a pretty nice looking leather, Ive never heard of anyone using these, what exactly are they used for primarily?

Beaver tail is a very resilent skin, and has a somewhat unique texture. I've gotten them from John Fong Leather in San Francisco. His number is 415-441-3519.

I've used the beaver tail as accent on holsters and knife sheaths. The pieces are not very large normally. Here's a cowboy holster I made and put it on the band of the holster.

Spot-BeaverTailHolster1.jpg

Beaver tail is a very resilent skin, and has a somewhat unique texture. I've gotten them from John Fong Leather in San Francisco. His number is 415-441-3519.

I've used the beaver tail as accent on holsters and knife sheaths. The pieces are not very large normally. Here's a cowboy holster I made and put it on the band of the holster.

Spot-BeaverTailHolster1.jpg

Thanks for your replies Steve, black fly & nice work on the holster K-Man...

I have been intouch with Chichester and they have replied.. I am confident that these will be my choice of supplier, despite the price, it will be worth it for my project of which I made an earlier "How do I do that" thread....

Much appreciated

Matt

Another place you could check is www.hideandfur.com.These people have everything.

Despite very rapid responses & great communication from the efficient staff at Chichester Inc...Tthe below fees incurring with the import of just a couple tails to the UK would be a little pricey considering each tail side being $45 a piece

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service requires an export permit for all wild items. The fee is now US$87.00 plus US$60.00 for us to do the paperwork. Shipping is about US$35.00. You will also have to pay VAT on your side. Twas expected really.... In all,,,Pricey tails eh :thumbsdown: ...

So for this project it looks as though I will just work with straight veg tan tooling throughout.... Im sure there will be someone here that can get a hold of some who already pays for documentation of imported goods.... ill just have to sourse them out for next time

Keep adding to the list though if you find any more suppliers....

Much appreciated

Matt