Treesner

grippy leather?

anyone know of a leather that's grippy? Also being on the waterproof side would be nice. I made a motorcycle seat out of some veg tan leather but it's pretty slippery so trying to find a better solution for the next one. I was kind of thinking that doing suede side out would make it more grippy but is there a way to make suede side out more waterproof? seems like it would soak up water when washing or riding in the rain. 

thanks

You can get Liquid or stick on rubber spots (seen them on the soles of house socks) which could be intergrated in to a pattern? 

I have a small wooden knob you could attach in the middle of the seat lol. Sorry I couldn't help it and I don't really have any other suggestion as most cycle seats I have ridden on were slippery also.Don't get mad at me i'm just kidding around a bit.

Edited by chuck123wapati
pre apology

Something with a prominent pebble grain might do the trick. Last PC chair I had before this one was covered in a very bold pebble grain that is probably just what your would want. it seemed very water resistant as well.

Pigskin perhaps?

There are also cow hides available with pressed in crocodile or lizard scale patterns.

Well, Treesner, it will sound at first as though I'm picking on you, . . . believe me I am not.

ALL decent saddles that cowboys ride for a living, . . . that the cavalry rode for a living, . . . that armies for hundreds of years rode for a living, . . . were made of leather, . . . and it was polished and wiped with beeswax and beeswax compounds that while waterproofing, . . . also made them more slippery than a democrat at a town hall being asked about taxes.

The riders learned how to hang on to their mounts with their legs, . . . mostly their thighs.

How did I learn this, . . . I own a 700 cc King Quad with a vinyl seat that is more slippery than two of those democrats previously mentioned, . . . and I had to go back to my horseback riding days to figure out what I was doing wrong, . . . almost sliding off the Quad if I wasn't careful.

I've since adjusted my riding techniques, . . . life is so much better now, . . .

BUT, . . . having said that, . . . many saddles do have a "rough out" patch in the seat of the saddle that does aid in keeping seated, . . . if you were to make one like that, . . . incorporate a patch of rough out leather (not suede, just the leather turned over) I think you would find it much "grippier" so to speak, . . . and with a little imagination it could be very attractive.  

Also, . . . relying on past experience, . . . brushed on 50/50, . . . Resolene and water, . . . is a very good water repellant, . . . looks good, . . . and has a sun blocker built in just for these types of use.  Best wishes on whatever you do.

May God bless,

Dwight 

9 hours ago, HaloJones said:

You can get Liquid or stick on rubber spots (seen them on the soles of house socks) which could be intergrated in to a pattern? 

You think those would wear off? Where could I get them? Little diamonds could be cool

7 hours ago, Professor said:

Something with a prominent pebble grain might do the trick. Last PC chair I had before this one was covered in a very bold pebble grain that is probably just what your would want. it seemed very water resistant as well.

Pigskin perhaps?

There are also cow hides available with pressed in crocodile or lizard scale patterns.

Any suggestion for places that sell the pebble pattern? Sounds like what I would want 

3 hours ago, Treesner said:

Any suggestion for places that sell the pebble pattern? Sounds like what I would want 

You could check with Tandy , I'm sure I've seen some on their site in the past.

Since pebble grain leather is commonly used in making handbags and shoes it shouldn't be hard to find.

natural pebble grain is produced by tumbling the leather sides in a drum, but I wouldn't know how you could do that at home.  Printed or stamped sides should be available from Tandy and probably many other wholesalers and retailers.

You can start here.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/leather-buying-guide.html

PS

Theres a type of leather called "Shagreen" you might look into.

its a leather treated to make the grain stand up in bumps similar to pebble grain but then the tops of the bumps are cut off leaving a odd interlocking pattern. Its been used for sword hilts and scabbards among other things.

I've seen wristwatch bands made of it in recent years so it may be available in quantity somewhere.

https://kickshawproductions.com/blog/?p=837

Edited by Professor

Hi there

Drop Abbey a email ask them about this leather its, what is used on English style saddle seats it may work for you, i know that you are the other side of the pond but you may have a supplier of Pittards leather or something similar that side of the pond.

Have a look at the cruiser line that may work for you, i will say it that it will not be cheap.

https://www.abbeyengland.com/pittards-panel-hides-7705.html

Hope this helps

JCUK

Just brain storming here but you could inset some neoprene panels for contact patches directly under your sit bone.

Make a pleasing shape, like a couple of tear drops that follow the contour of the seat. Back up the neoprene with leather of course, to keep it dimensionally stable.

I saw rolls and panels of neoprene on Amazon. It come in 1/8" and 1/4" thick. Just search Amazon for neoprene.

nick

Pittards sell a waterproof grippy leather.   You can deal direct with them 

How about shaping the seat to fit your arse, you could fill a thin plastic bag with medium drying foam, sit on it with it placed on the saddle  and get a mould that you could mimic under the leather.

Assuming there is such a foam that is soft enough to make a shape yet fast enough drying to not make you sit on it for hours, the mould would only need to be a few mill deep

Forget that idea, just get some thick tooling veg tan, soak it and place it over the existing saddle with a plastic over it , then sit on it for 30 min and your weight will mould it 

Edited by chrisash

what about ostrich leather? it looks like theres little bumps that might be grippy??

anyone have a good supplier and brand that would be good for seats?