ELeBlanc

Removing Bindery attachments Pfaff 335 Singer 153w103

Looking at these three machines for purchase. All set up for bindery - which I dont want. What does it take to remove the bindery attachments and revert these back to "regular"

Only planning on of three. I'm a newbie. Have a Juki LU 563 (and several pacthers).

Any assistance is appreciated. Wizcrafts - edited my profile and added LOCATION! 

pfaff-335-h3.jpg

singer-153W103.jpg

pfaff-335.jpg

You'll need the appropriate "straight" parts for your particular machine, for which you'll be best to consult the parts manuals, and a half hour to an hour per machine depending on your familiarity with industrial sewing machines.

On the Seiko LCW-8 (very similar to your Singer 153) it in involves both new feet, a new needle plate, feed dog, bobbin cover and feed lifiting cam plus some re-timing. I would expect the Pfaff 335s to be quite similar, but no need for a feed lifting cam (since it doesn't have one). That assumes that the 153 has a synchronous binding attachment in place, which isn't clear to see from the photo.

The Singer 153 doesn't appear to have a synchronous binder; just a static bolt on folder attachment. Since you don't know if anything has been removed, or replaced, it could involve as little as a standard throat plate and regular presser feet, to as much as those plus a standard feed dog and adjusting the feed timing and motion and possibly the cam that moves the feed dog. Unless the seller knows what has been modified, what has been removed and has the original parts, this is going to be a possibly expensive crap shoot.

The binder on the Singer is just a screw-on attachment that can be unscrewed.

I did that to my Pfaff 335. I needed a new needle plate and both feet, which I bought from Kwok Hing. I think I replaced the feed dog too, but I'll have to check on that (memory gets a bit confused these days :rolleyes2:).

Matt, Wiz, Dikman - thanks for the info. Any guess what the parts cost would be (and availability) for the 153 and the 335?

This may make the purchase of either one of these impractical based on the cost.

http://www.kwokhing.com/pfaff/

I bought the 206-04 plate and feed dog and the KP335W, in hindsight I should have bought the N071. You'll have to email them for prices, there's an enquiry form on their website. I figured that the cost didn't matter much as it meant I could at least use it as a normal machine.

The generic parts for the Pfaff 335 are not that expensive.  Kwok Hing makes them and you can sometimes find on line.  The biggest problem with generic  is finding ones that fit and are decent.  A lot of the stuff coming from China is junk.  Kwok Hing makes some decent stuff.  In the case of the 335, you may also need a cover plate for the arm since chances are both of the binders are symmetric feed.

glenn

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I made a replacement arm cover plate from a piece of aluminium.

This was an auction and I bought the singer 153W for $60. Didn't bid on the Pfaff.

3 hours ago, ELeBlanc said:

This was an auction and I bought the singer 153W for $60. Didn't bid on the Pfaff.

That's a steal.

I think the pinkish Pfaff 335-H3 went for about $80 and the other Greyish went for about 30 I think.

Auction was near Harrisburg PA