PappysLeather

Embossing leather

Anybody here using a 12 ton press to emboss leather? How do you know how much pressure to apply and how do you make sure you can apply that pressure ever time?

I would think you should be very careful using a 12 ton press to emboss leather. Instead of embossing it could act like a clicker press and cut right through.

It depends on the embossing plates and the leather.  I use a 20T press all the time to emboss box loops for harness, using brass embossing dies.  I have cut right through the leather before, although it was more of a crushing than cutting action.  Typically, if you use good solid leather, this won't happen.  But a deep embossing die with thin leather, watch the pressure.

Edited by BigSiouxSaddlery

what does your press look like?  probably a simple fix if you have the "shop press" type thing used for bearings 'n' such

23 hours ago, PappysLeather said:

how do you make sure you can apply that pressure ever time?

My shop press has a gauge to indicate the pressure, but I guess not all shop presses have that option. 

Maybe, once you have done the 1st item that you are happy with, you can copy by counting how many pumps of the handle.

Been trying that guess I haven't found the right amount. Struggling with how wet to get the leather. Here is wht I am working with

image1(21).jpeg

Your leather looks too wet to me. You appear to have a halo of excess moisture around the stamp.

The leather should be almost the same colour as dry leather, but cool to the touch.

If you are just doing small stamps like the one that you are showing, it may be safer (more controllable) and easier to use an arbor press for that.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html

nick

image.png.af4dc617b5624154ff75eb5f130ad625.png

1 hour ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

If you are just doing small stamps like the one that you are showing, it may be safer (more controllable) and easier to use an arbor press for that.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html

nick

image.png.af4dc617b5624154ff75eb5f130ad625.png

or a mallet

Or, depending on where it is, a G clamp.

Thank you for all the comments

You can also use a cheater bar (a length of steel pipe fitted over the existing arbor handle) to get far more pressure at very low cost

Edited by chrisash