Frodo

I am so P----ed off

Ok...Before I start on my little mini rant,, This is MY fault for not using the correct tool

I am sitting here marking lines on a piece of leather while stamping it with a basket weave pattern. Happy as a bumble bee in spring time.

I am using an old wore out ink pen, because i like the feel of the pen and the line it gives. I have been using this pen for over a month

SO>>.I pick up my pin and draw a line along the straight edge. DAMN..The pen started writing !!!! Right down the middle of my leather

Any dumbaZZ mistakes you want to tell on yourself.  ????

20191121_144059.jpg

Frodo, I use an old, dried-up pen for transferring patterns to leather prior to carving. Had the same thing happen to me, only it wasn't as disastrous, as the ink only went on the tracing paper, not the leather! :rolleyes2:

Make one of these or both they are made from stainless all thread and I used leather washers and brass nuts to make the handles. One is just a rounded point like a pen tip. I made two lifter tips one shaper and one pen point. just chuck up the all thread in a drill and use files to work it down to shape. Because I did the same darn thing and I couldn't see the price in store bought lifters these are simple to make.

lijfter1.JPG

lifter2.JPG

Edited by chuck123wapati
more info

Nice, very nice, might have to borrow that idea.

Bert.

Just dye it a dark colour. If I stuff something up, I dye it  dark brown or black , fixes, er....hides everything. :thumbsup:

HS

As far as dumb mistakes. I made a custom molded belt sheath for a folding knife. Everything had gone great it was a perfect fit and the sewing was perfect. The gentleman wanted his brand on it, no problem. I drew it up on the computer perfect, only one problem it was a sideways d attached to a w.  What I drew up was a z, didn’t notice till I had it carved and beveled. So I said some words my granddaughters can’t hear and started over..

Todd

I made a silly mistake,  x 9,  today.

I'm making something to which I want to add a loop for holding a pen. I cut the loop pieces, x 9. Then I glued two of the opposite edges and clamped them using stainless steel bulldog clips. When the glue was dry I wet them and slipped them over a couple of dowels to mould them. I re-clamped, but tighter, using the s-s bulldogs. I clamped up all 9 pieces first then I meant to go back and put some lolly stick between the bulldog jaws and the wet leather.

But I got distracted and didn't.

By the time I remembered, a few hours later, I have iron staining where the jaws were on the wet leather and a little bit has spread further.

Its no biggie as,  a. these are being dyed very dark brown  b. the bit with the iron staining will be sewn into a seam and hidden.

Ah, the mistakes I've made! I did a beautiful sheath for a hatchet, perfect basketweave...decided to put my initial on it. Upside down. Okay, I didn't really decide to put my initial upside down, that part was a no-charge bonus. I did show my trophy wife the pic of the pen line on your piece, though...she looked like I'd described a root canal, or maybe kidney stones. 

I feel your pain!

Jeff

My latest contribution from yesterday?   I often re-use butter containers , and before I put stuff in like buckles , etc, I put stab a few air  holes in the lid with an awl . 

stab stab stab.....miss.... stab ...into my finger down to the bone ....*expleeeeeeeetive*   :bawling: :blush:

HS :oops:

Break Out the dark colour dye. All fixed. :)

Something I've been meaning to try. There's a ball tipped stylus used in ceramics work that should work very well in marking leather without breaking the surface. Don't have one handy to test the idea yet though.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/kemper-double-ball-stylus-embossing-tools/

happens..
good tip on handmade tool from chuck123wapati

or you can grab some useful stuff - nail dotting penrBVaJFmvkvuADjDlAABRcyX-mYE920.jpg.c96d0d75f5effaa1185138dc3846c748.jpg

or can use an awl

Edited by nrk