DownSheba

New and Excited - Los Angeles, CA

Hello!

I am new to leatherworking and ready to learn all I can, I'm interested in making wearable leather such as armor. I am currently in a beginners leatherworking course here in LA, we are just finishing up and will start the Intermediate course the beginning of next year. So I have the foundation of most of the basics and looking to build up on them. I'm still unsure of what tools I will for sure need as the market is saturated in easy to obtain sets, mostly poor quality.

We just learned the saddle stitch on the stitching pony and I'm excited to say I plan to build my own with my father around Christmas, since it seems many of the mass produced ones on the market are iffy. Does anyone have a favorite type or style?

If anyone has advice on where I could find resources that would help me get into armory around the LA area, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to learning from you all!!

You found us! Welcome to the forum.

You can learn everything that you want to know about leathercraft here. I remember how happy I was when I found this place. Have fun!

I think that you will want to hang out in the Historical Reenactment area but I have never visited there myself.

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

9 hours ago, DownSheba said:

Hello!

I am new to leatherworking and ready to learn all I can, I'm interested in making wearable leather such as armor. I am currently in a beginners leatherworking course here in LA, we are just finishing up and will start the Intermediate course the beginning of next year. So I have the foundation of most of the basics and looking to build up on them. I'm still unsure of what tools I will for sure need as the market is saturated in easy to obtain sets, mostly poor quality.

We just learned the saddle stitch on the stitching pony and I'm excited to say I plan to build my own with my father around Christmas, since it seems many of the mass produced ones on the market are iffy. Does anyone have a favorite type or style?

Welcome to the forum-- there are many friendly and skilled people here, with years of experience in just about every type of leather work.

If  you search this forum for "stitching pony," "stitching horse" or even "stitching clam," you will get a good variety to look at. Some people with excellent wood-working skills have done some gorgeous work. 

You say that you are unsure of what tools you will need, but that's fine! That just means you won't go out and drop hundreds, or even thousands of dollars on tools which you don't ever use. 
There are quite a few resources that can help you discover what you need to start with. Check out Ian Atkinson's video page (https://ianatkinson.net/leather/videos.htm) where he has some good tutorials and some discussion over what tools you might need to start with. 
Of course, that depends on if  you are interested in doing tooling and decorative work or not.