trash treasure

Pfaff 138 sub class question

Hi -

I haven't been current on the forum lately, but I hope someone can provide a little guidance, anyway .

I'm looking to buy an older Pfaff 138, and I'm wondering about the sub class, as I don't want to get something I can't use - It's a pretty long drive to get it :~) It's not a lot of money, AND, it has one of those cool "Pfaff" thread stands, so it's attractive to me because of that, anyway!

It's a Pfaff 138-115U - The machine is obviously an early one, as it's black instead of beige hammertone - I really can't find much info, except that the "U" models were maybe sold as "cording" machines - From the somewhat fuzzy photos, it looks like it might have some kind of funny foot, but the needle plate looks like it has the normal 2 row feed dog, and looking at what parts lists I can find, the feed parts for these machines look all the same. So, If all it needs is to get a regular zig zag foot for it, maybe it's OK?

Anyone have any knowledge about this? Uwe? Constabulary?    Thanks.

Edited by trash treasure

I have a l lot of Pfaff 138 books I'll see what I can find.

I know the 115 from other Pfaff machines and that usually is a special double needle holder for sewing tucks (Biesen). The ones I know of could either hold 1 needle in the center or 2 needles left and right of the center needle hole and AFAIK they also need special needles of system 130B (round shank and 1.62mm diameter) - if I recall correctly. Please post some pictures of your machine.

Edited by Constabulary

OK, Some photos from the seller, but as I said, not very good ones . It does look like it might have something on the needle bar, and it does have some kind of funny foot - It looks like the standard feeder set, though.

I guess what I'm trying to determine, is if it can be easily converted back to a general purpose machine, by swapping the foot, and maybe the needle bar, each of them, I found for under $20

Anyway, the fuzzy photos:

1.jpg

3.jpg

can´t tell from the picture but seems not to have the double needle holder. I´m not sure but the 138 came with different diameter Needle bars afaik. Some bits on the 2nd tension unit are missing. Looks like a 1940´s - 1950´s machine.

Any chance that you could ask for a close up pic of the foot and NB area and maybe of the knob in the middle of the arm - could be that this is a 6mm wide zig zag machine - which is rare!

I attach an adjustment instruction for the 138 just in case...

Adjustment Pfaff 138.pdf

Unfortunately, I don't think I can get any more info from the seller - It's at her place of employment, and she was a little funny to deal with, to start off. The machine was on Facebook Marketplace, and I've really learned to hate buying things through there, because of the way some people are - She wouldn't even give me a phone number at first - I guess she was afraid I'd steal her identity, or stalk her,  or something ......

Anyway, I guess I'll find out tomorrow, as I'm planning to drive down there (a couple hundred miles, actually), and see for myself. I haven't ever seen one for sale locally before, so I'm willing to take a chance and have a look.

And thanks for the links, C - I have looked at those before, and they're more than a little confusing to me - I need to read more :~)

@trash treasure, I have a Pfaff 138 6mm version I plan on selling someday. If you need any close up photos to see how a standard setup looks, just let me know.

OK - Here's the exiting follow up, you've all been waiting for ;~)

I went ahead and bought the machine, and as far as I can tell, there's nothing out of the ordinary in the set up, from most other 138's, but I'm for sure, no expert on this. The weird foot turned out to be just an adjustable zipper foot, with a normal-looking feed dog and needle plate. It's missing the bobbin case, and I don't know enough to tell if the hook is a standard one - Probably.  I think it's just a 4.5mm machine.

foot.jpg.1ce4c979d04f7151207cce1a9ed59ff4.jpghook.jpg.d3cf5cbd2d320168a44ef23286542853.jpg

And , of course, the real reason for buying it - It had  a cool cast iron "Pfaff" thread stand, that my wife wanted for her Pfaff 130 mission-style treadle stand :~)

1515732681_threadstand.jpg.4afcbddb8517b583894f999c1cbb9ed1.jpg

The machine was totally packed up with fossilized oil, and wouldn't even turn over at first (it does now), has a really dull finish, and a really nice solid butcher block H-leg table, with the original Pfaff bobbin winder (I think) - With a little work, and a new foot and bobbin case (and maybe the parts for the second tension unit), I can hopefully bring it back . Thanks again for your input, the other day.

138.jpg

bobbin case most likely is Pfaff # 9076 - I think most drop feed Pfaff machines (and others) are using this type of bobbin case.

Good luck with the machine!

If you need parts (mainly used) - check Ebay Germany - if sellers do not ship overseas I can forward them if you want. Not a big deal.

16 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

bobbin case most likely is Pfaff # 9076 - I think most drop feed Pfaff machines (and others) are using this type of bobbin case.

Good luck with the machine!

If you need parts (mainly used) - check Ebay Germany - if sellers do not ship overseas I can forward them if you want. Not a big deal.

Thank you!  When I get into it, I'll see if anything else is needed - Hopefully, not much.

See attached, 138-115U appears to be same as -6 but with a triangular eccentric for garment or textile work "U" and with cording device "115".  Hope this helps.

Pfaff138-115U_SubClass.pdf

Thank you, Gregg.

OK, so the question is, what does it mean for the machine (U) to have a "triangular eccentric"?  The zigzag control is totally clogged up, and stuck in left-needle straight stitch.  So at this point, all I can do is turn it over manually, and watch it go up and down and the feed dog go back and forth.  Is it supposed to do something different from the normal 138-6 ?

As for the "cording device" - I've seen pictures of some kind of special cording needle plates, in the parts lists, but this machine just has a regular flat one .........

The class / subclass plate on industrial sewing machines often just tell 1/2 of the story - you never know if a machine has been modified to suit the owners needs. A different foot or different needle plate and feed dog can put a machine in a different subclass and these parts are easy to change so you never know...

The clogged ZZ dial is not unusual on old Pfaff 138 and other Pfaff machines with this type of ZZ dial. Heat (carefully applied with heat gun) and penetrating oil will solve this issue. There is a YT Video on this topic.... let me check....

EDIT:

Found it - its on a Pfaff 130 but the ZZ dial is pretty much the same here:

Edited by Constabulary