Sign in to follow this  
Nate1977

Sliding knot

In the book leather braiding by bruce grant , pages 102, 103 , plate 51 sliding knot or 5part 2 bight turks head.

I get to step 3 and can't figure out steps 4 and 5.I don't fair well with learning from a book.

I have searched the net and can't find anything is there another name for this knot ? Or a clearer explanation?

ok so once your string comes out from under as shown in fig 3 you take it around down and come up between the 2 strands. then your gonna take it around the back to the left over that far left strand and then it comes up from under and will end up right along the right side of the starting point.  this is fig 4.  that is the end of the single knot fig 5 shows that to double the knot you simply follow your strand around it should follow the same overs and unders.  hope that helps a bit

Thank you will give it a shot again with this beside me 

Thank you Roo , I think I got it , now how do you finish off? Just trim the ends or tuck somewhere?20191124_235755.thumb.jpg.11ae8d9d00fb3326b02de5b2b8c78641.jpg

Nate, I came upon your post late, but to answer your questions on finishing that turk's head up, I would approach it same, same as with any turk's head.  Start at the beginning point and work thru it tightening it up.  When you've reached the end, trim the ends short, then take your marlin spike/fid, and ease the bitter ends back under to hide them.  Clear as mud, right?  Looking at your pic, on the left hand side, you want to get under your starting point (just past the left two parts) and ease it under them to hide the end.  I'm not hitting on all 8 cylinders today, but someone will probably come along with a clearer explanation.

Edited by BantOZ
can't spell

Thanks , @BantOZ I think I am understanding you , cut ends short and tuck after tightening. Trying to learn some of the different knots.

that looks pretty good.  it will be a bit harder to hide ends on that round lace than on a flat lace but its good practice.  soon you will be addicted to braiding lol

I have alot of round cord I use for Christmas Ornaments that I turn. So don't feel bad if I screw up tying and not super hard to undo. 

23 hours ago, Nate1977 said:

Thanks , @BantOZ I think I am understanding you , cut ends short and tuck after tightening. Trying to learn some of the different knots.

23 hours ago, Nate1977 said:

Nate, didn't respond sooner, lost power, etc.  Tighten the knot, then trim short, then tuck.

Edited by BantOZ
still can't spell

1 hour ago, BantOZ said:

Nate, didn't respond sooner, lost power, etc.  Tighten the knot, then trim short, then tuck.

Thanks and hate those power losses.