Jason046

Best place to buy Chicago screws

I don't know how they compare to others, but Buckleguy has bulk pricing.

https://www.buckleguy.com/search.php?search_query="chicago screws"&section=product

That link shows 34¢ per screw, which I would consider extreme.  Length of post would affect cost a bit, and it would likely matter what "bulk" means - what is "a lot" to one may not be much at all to somebody else.  Looks like SLC - which I certainly would not classify as "wholesale" - has 1/4" for $28/100, which is about 16% less money, and not what most people would consider "bulk" order.

Beyond that, I refer you to Google.

15 hours ago, Jason046 said:

We are using alot of Chicago screws and we are just looking for better prices. Anyone have a good place to order them on the web. Thanks

If you have the time you could always call SLC and ask if they have a discount on more than 100.  All they can do is say no, but they might say yes.

38 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

If you have the time you could always call SLC and ask if they have a discount on more than 100.  All they can do is say no, but they might say yes.

Or if you're already in St Louis, aguycould hop over and pick some up at S-T Leather (17th)

7 hours ago, JLSleather said:

That link shows 34¢ per screw, which I would consider extreme.  Length of post would affect cost a bit, and it would likely matter what "bulk" means - what is "a lot" to one may not be much at all to somebody else.  Looks like SLC - which I certainly would not classify as "wholesale" - has 1/4" for $28/100, which is about 16% less money, and not what most people would consider "bulk" order.

Beyond that, I refer you to Google.

slc stocks everything they can catch up with from everywhere - which means quality  variation

i personally agree on buckleguy (or similar) - you know what you get for the money and the quality is the same

ps

i mean, come on, 34cents? really? dont worth it )

Edited by nrk

have you looked at McMaster-Carr?

15 hours ago, nrk said:

i mean, come on, 34cents? really? dont worth it )

Well, that's kinda my point.. it's just a screw :dunno:  Unless you are doing production and need 1000 of 'em that actually match, then i might just order 'em from wherever I was already ordering something else... split the shipping costs.

Thanks, right now we are using about 200 a month but might be moving up to close to 1000. It hasn't been a big issue with the 200 but moving up to 1000 just checking our options to make them cost effective. Thanks for all the help

Ones from SLC do not seem to screw all the way down. There’s about a 32nd to a 1/16” gap difference. If that makes sense. And the lot of 100 I got from them are mismatched. Some have flat backs some have domed backs. Sometimes a little more money is worth it to get the same each time. 

9 hours ago, Clintock said:

There’s about a 32nd to a 1/16” gap difference.

You mean assembling by itself.. as in separate from any leather?  Could be intended to be used on leather/materials 1/8" thicker? :dunno:

I've never been in need of 1000-packs, so maybe this isn't my topic. :whistle:

On 11/28/2019 at 6:23 AM, JLSleather said:
On 11/27/2019 at 8:54 PM, Clintock said:

You mean assembling by itself.. as in separate from any leather?  Could be intended to be used on leather/materials 1/8" thicker? :dunno:

They’re 1/4” so two pieces 7/8 oz should work. Nope. It would take two pieces 7/8 AND a piece of 2/3 to make the gap close 

On 11/27/2019 at 2:43 PM, Jason046 said:

Thanks, right now we are using about 200 a month but might be moving up to close to 1000. It hasn't been a big issue with the 200 but moving up to 1000 just checking our options to make them cost effective. Thanks for all the help

What kind of quality are you looking for?  The ones sold by Buckleguy are much higher quality than Weaver or any others I have used.

If you don't mind the wait you can find a 100 pc pack with five different lengths on Ebay for less that 15 USD ordered from China, free shipping.

Ordered one awhile back and it got here quicker than I expected.

PS I only use these as temporary stand ins for rivets, when working out a design for a belt or gunbelt. Finish product will have whatever regular or decorative permanent rivets are best suited to the design and color.

Edited by Professor

On 11/28/2019 at 6:54 AM, Clintock said:

Ones from SLC do not seem to screw all the way down. There’s about a 32nd to a 1/16” gap difference. If that makes sense. And the lot of 100 I got from them are mismatched. Some have flat backs some have domed backs. Sometimes a little more money is worth it to get the same each time. 

partially that was my point )

On 11/26/2019 at 6:33 PM, JLSleather said:

Well, that's kinda my point.. it's just a screw :dunno:  Unless you are doing production and need 1000 of 'em that actually match, then i might just order 'em from wherever I was already ordering something else... split the shipping costs.

true

On 11/28/2019 at 2:43 AM, Jason046 said:

what do you do?

We are making radio holsters for fire departments.  The tricky part is the way they are attached or we could use rivets. Right now we do loctite with the Chicago screws