56E8CAEF-6F3B-4C5C-AE51-AA99E1814E5A.thumb.jpeg.5b8efec2c7df9f94c334e2c9a4248f07.jpegMy best wallet so far. How can I improve?

D30F7C2F-CA18-46D8-B666-077CD93CBF5B.jpeg

56E8CAEF-6F3B-4C5C-AE51-AA99E1814E5A.jpeg

0FA10D1B-B8EF-4EF7-BCA5-FB4FD2C33F8B.jpeg

Edited by Abdo
Added a picture

abdo, I really like them.  The stitching looks very nice.  A little hard to see since the thread blends in with the leather, but from What I see, it looks good.  The spacing from the edge looks pretty good.  There is maybe a little too much of a gap on one of the pictures where the stitching could have been a bit closer to the edge, but I'm being picky.

The choice of leather is good, it looks attractive.  Your edges look nice.  Are they dyed and burnished?

I'd say you are on the right track!

your wallets look great ! I would have to agree with @Tugadude as I prefer a small gap between the leather edge and stitch as well...what kind of leather did you use ? its very nice looking.

I like the looks of it , have to agree with the others on the stitching .

Just made for cards? I don't see a cash pocket?

The only thing **I** don't like is how the leather clumps together like drapes in the thin bands around the large hole. I'd just cut two panels instead of one with a centre hole. You can still stitch continuously even if you only have one layer of leather: it's not mandatory that you must have layers to join; there's also decorative stitching where there's only one layer, for example. This would also make the wallet to fold more easily.

That's a personal preference, though. I'm not saying you did it 'wrong'; maybe there's a reason why your pattern/design is the way it is.

Edited by Hardrada

LThanks everyone for the feedback. It really helps.

@Tugadude   @CastleLeatherWorks  Thank you. I agree, the stitching should be closer to the edge. I used calf leather that’s finished like shell cordovan (from rmleathersupply.com). I didn’t dye the edges. I only burnished them with some Tokonole.

Thanks for the comment @Hardrada, I definitely see what you mean.

@Nate1977There is one cash pocket on the right. The card slots on the right side are joined at the edge (see picture). Not sure if it’s clear. Hopefully it makes sense.

7697AF42-52F1-4406-B460-0059F6D8509C.jpeg

Many people are fine with folding their cash.  In fact, many people used to refer to it as "folding money" to distinguish it from coins.  I like to put mine in without folding first, but YMMV.

Abdo, it is easy to add a money clip to the wallet.  I've used two types, the flat metal kind that you affix to one side of the wallet and the "wire" kind that goes right in the middle.  In the case of the latter option you just make the wallet a tad longer so that you can sew the bar into the center.  There are tons of examples on here if you look.  

I also use that same leather. It is the toughest stuff I have found and resistant to scratches. I have carried mine in front pants pocket along with keys and a pocket knife, and I have yet to scratch the wallet.  If you really want to keep it slim, get the people at RMLS to split it to 2 loss.  One little suggestion is lay the wallet on your slab and tap the stitches with a metal hammer and this little "pickers" will go away.

Hope this helps,

Terry

Got ya , don't normally fold cash before I put cash in my wallet.

What weight is that calf leather? I like the look of it and I've never worked with shell cordovan or any imitations. For that price, I'd like to give it a shot.

Yeah, I'm ordering some too. If it's that scratch resistant I might just switch to it for my wallets and pouches.

@cbossio: pending the OP's reply, FWIW I've been using 1 mm (2.5 oz) weight for wallets. I find it optimal, specially when you start adding panels, you can add up to three without the need to skive. Thicker leather would leave you with a brick, methinks. Guess you could go as thin as 0.8 mm.

Edited by Hardrada

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback. Sorry for the late replies. I’ve been very sick lately.

@terrymac I sometimes tap the stitches with a hammer. I often hesitate to do this because I don’t know if I like the flattened look of the stitches.

@Tugadude yeah I’ve seen money clips before. Seems very practical / cool solution. 

@Hardrada i’m pretty sure it’s not veg-tanned. It’s somewhat scratch resistant. I got some scratches from normal use but nothing major

@cbossio It comes in 3.5oz I think but I got it split to 3oz. I skived the edges / card slots make the wallet thinner.

I like it the way it is, nice leather, nice stitches. If I had to change something I would skive the edges, it will look less bulky. But that's personal. Great work. 

B