NewfoundlandLaw

Leather vs Fur Sewing Machines

Hey All

I tried sewing a Seal Fur pelt on my Cobra Class 4 tonight and while it went "ok", it was very very hard to get a nice straight line. 

I see many people use a machine designed to handle Fur. I've been watching videos and they seem completely different than traditional machines. 

Has anyone ever tried a fur sewing machine and, if so, do they work much better than a normal walking foot machine like the Cobra Class 4?

If you are planning on sewing seal fur in any amount I would check with the Sealers Association as they would be able to put you in contact with someone close to you. That way you could probably visit and get them to show you what machine works best for seal. Seal is one of the best and heaviest furs out there. The hide isn't the problem for sewing its the fur thus the horizontal edge sewing.

kgg

Fur machines combine layers at the very top with a whipstitch across the top. Some may even roll the material over toward the machine as they sew. There is just one thread and a looper, so it is a form of chainstitch, but really a coverstitch. Multiple pieces are pieced together at the top, sides and bottom with the fur inside and skin outside.This way when you open up the pieces, there is just fur showing on the outside and the coverstitch is hidden.

I may be getting a Bonis fur machine shortly. If I do I will report back here.

Only on rare occasions have  I needed a fur machine . I have sewn sheep skin on my Seiko, but its a pain in the butt as the wool gets tangled around the feet etc. 

I have seen fur machines in use, you really need to keep your fingers well away from the business end, as always with all machines , but the needle on a fur machine looks almost ...brutal :) 

HS

I am so glad that I own an old Bonis Never Stop fur machine. It is super awesome for furs and also works well on light leather for gloves and such.

It helps to have a compressed air gooseneck blower too. I do not yet have it set up, but contemplating, as hiding hair between the pieces with my fingers is taxing.

If you are serious about sewing furs, you should definitely look for a fur machine as they produce much better results at higher productivity. At the end of the seam you just tear off the workpiece instead of cutting.

One thing to keep in mind is that machines work well with the weight which they are designed for. If you step up your minks and try to saw lamb, you might be all right, but if you try sheepskins you might start breaking needles. Check out Bonis web site for an idea how many different types they make.

Needles are quite unique and you have to buy them in boxes of 100 most of the time.

Any questions re my Bonis, reach out!

Edited by DrmCa

12 hours ago, DrmCa said:

I am so glad that I own an old Bonis Never Stop fur machine. It is super awesome for furs and also works well on light leather for gloves and such.

It helps to have a compressed air gooseneck blower too. I do not yet have it set up, but contemplating, as hiding hair between the pieces with my fingers is taxing.

If you are serious about sewing furs, you should definitely look for a fur machine as they produce much better results at higher productivity. At the end of the seam you just tear off the workpiece instead of cutting.

One thing to keep in mind is that machines work well with the weight which they are designed for. If you step up your minks and try to saw lamb, you might be all right, but if you try sheepskins you might start breaking needles. Check out Bonis web site for an idea how many different types they make.

Needles are quite unique and you have to buy them in boxes of 100 most of the time.

Any questions re my Bonis, reach out!

I see they make a really unique stitch. 

Does this type of stitch work for sewing things like handbags?

5 hours ago, NewfoundlandLaw said:

Does this type of stitch work for sewing things like handbags?

It would if the bag is made with fur and the hide isn't too stiff.

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

It would if the bag is made with fur and the hide isn't too stiff.

Thanks Wiz.  Your knowledge is always invaluable!  

That stitch is just as strong as the thread you'd use. I use regular high-quality polyester thread in TEX 27 for hats and gloves, and it holds up fine.

On leather it would be weaker than most lockstitch machine's due to pretty high SPI. One thing to remember is that once that thread breaks in a seam, it would undo the whole seam if you pull on it in one direction. So if you had a 10" seam and it broke in the middle, then you might end up with 5" loose.

I do not make large handbags, but for purses I would still use my Pfaff 335.

Edited by DrmCa