Bransen111

Industrial Sewing Tutorials?

Hi Everyone, I just pulled the trigger on a Techsew 2700 Pro with the speed reducer and am now wondering how I learn to sew, is it pretty much the same as sewing fabric just on a bigger scale or do i need to learn specifically for leather. My mom sews fabric and she could teach me the basics if they work hand in hand. If they don't work hand in hand is there any good tutorials on sewing leather or any tutorials online that would help me being that I am brand new to sewing leather all together? I am looking to sew primarily holsters, wallets, and hopefully bags soon as well, thanks in advance!

Get some scrap matieral the same weight as what you'd like to use and start practicing running stitches, following lines and edges.

It will be tough at first but will get better and easier with practice.

@blue62 that’s great advice, Thankyou! I’m glad I’ve been saving all of my scraps! 

I'd suggest browsing youtube as there will be lots of videos on there. Watch as much as you can to start getting a feeling for sewing leather and to understand the adjustments that will be necessary depending on the thickness, and type, of the material and thread being used. Bear in mind that this is an upholstery-class machine (which means it is quite versatile) but it isn't intended for holsters. It will not have enough clearance under the feet and is limited to #138 thread, which is a bit light for holsters.

Dikman and Blue62 both give sound advice.  My experience is that the fundamentals are essentially the same, regarding running straight stitches. Running a stitch is running a stitch whether it is fabric or leather.  Backstitching to lock in your thread when you start and end a stitch run, is the same, and so on. The big difference is in the machines. Learning how to use your industrial machine (vs a consumer/home machine), and how to adjust the tension properly for different thickness of leather and thread will be key to your success..  

With fabric (I have sewn a lot of throw pillow cases over the years for my wife) on a home machine, I don’t ever remember worrying about thread and needle size or thread tension too much. It was kind of pick a stitch, and set it and forget it.  With leather, you will need to learn what thickness of thread to use, based on the item you are making (wallet vs belt, vs ...), the thickness of the combined leather being sewn, and aesthetics of the project. Then depending on the thickness of the combined leather and the size thread you use, you need to select the appropriate needle size. It looks like with the 2700 Pro your max material thickness is around 3/8 of an inch, but is more than adequate for wallets.

Like any skill, it will gets easier with practice.

Edited by RemingtonSteel

I would take a class.  I took one to learn leather upholstery, and it answered a lot of questions for me.  The instructor had 30 years of experience and easily set me on the right path for my projects.

Similar classes exist for leather crafting, and would help you tremendously.  You may have to drive a bit to an area that offers classes, but it's worth it.

There are machine concerns and project specific concerns, and you need to be aware of both to succeed with leather projects.  I'm amazed how many machine operators (who are quite skilled at their craft) have very little mechanical knowledge of their machine.  Start learning about upper and lower thread tension, matching needle size to thread size, machine oiling and maintenance etc. etc. etc.

Then as you learn specific techniques, your machine will behave as expected.

Good luck! 

Congratulations on your new machine, I'm a little jealous.  :) 

I don't yet have a leather sewing machine, but have been using home machines for years.  My Mom and Grandmom made sure that I knew the basics of fabric sewing growing up, and I even have my Gran's little Singer Bantam that I can use for basic stuff.   Hemming pants, making bags, fixing stuff and whatnot.  I'm really glad they taught me to be independent that way.  

Lots of good advice above!    But I'd add:

While I don't yet have my own machine, I do follow what folks post on here to prepare for the day when I have a real workspace so that I can get a leather machine!    One of the things that was recommended on here some time ago was Al Bane's Youtube videos on sewing basics with a Cobra Class 4.  While that's not the machine that you have, he does show a lot of basic skills and exercises that should be helpful to you!   The principles are the same, even if machine details are not.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhhAV7nVLSY

If you are looking to do upholstery(specifically automobile), Cechaflo's Youtube videos might be a good watch for you ... https://www.youtube.com/user/Cechaflo/videos

And if you're looking to do bags and such, Arthur Porter's Youtube videos might be a good watch for you ... https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDallas1953/videos

Hope that helps!

- Bill

Mom kin likely fix ya up.  You can search Ytube (WHYtube) but you're going to run in to a LOT of useless droning on about nothing, when you could be sewing and having coffee with Mom.  Bring Mom, stab a few holes in a piece of leather WITHOUT THREAD so you know what it's going to look like, and then have at it.

In fact, I'm so irritated with the HOURS of videos about making sure the needle is 'facing the right way" and how to drop down a drop-down guide, soon as I'm out from under the case load a bit I'm going to make a video that condenses a few hours of ENDLESS DRONING ON into about 10 minutes of usable information for exactly that guy with this question.

By all means, if somebody knows of the video that already covers it WELL, let us all know.  I'll post it on our site, and this site, and I'll tell my neighbor the link (even though he doesn't care), and I'll add it to every pdf i ever make...... I don't have that small-man complex that causes  SO many to make a video about the same thing 100 other people already covered. ;)

EDIT: I just searched on WHY tube for 'techsew 2700'.  The first video in the list shows some ... i din't know what to call him ...  going on about everything BUT the techsew 2700 -- I turned it off after 3:00 of not a word about the techsew 2700 .... just dont say I dint warn ya...

Edited by JLSleather

On 11/29/2019 at 8:50 AM, JLSleather said:

i din't know what to call him ...  going on about everything BUT the techsew 2700

There are lots of blokes like that, they would lure you onto their channel using any means possible, but provide nothing of value. The Internet today is about The Click.