Sign in to follow this  
Geoff

Saddle Leather Identification

Does anyone recognise the mark on this leather? I bought a couple of butts from a retired saddler (in UK) and would like to obtain more.

These particular pieces were supplied to UK for using in dressage saddle making and makes very nice belts. The leather is about 4.5mm thick with a heavy emboss "Jumbo" pattern and distinctive orange ID marks printed on the back.

Does anyone recognise either the leather or the marks? Any help will be appreciated.

jumbo.jpg

I am in the UK and I do not recognise that style of ID on bridle butts,  but the only thing I may be able to shed light on is on some panel hides I've had in the past have had gold coloured numbers stating the square footage has been on Italian hides. What you have could be from any nunber of finishing firms or wholesalers.   Might be worth getting in touch with Abbey and sending them pic sof the marks, Mike might recognise it if they stock similar.

22 hours ago, philg9 said:

I am in the UK and I do not recognise that style of ID on bridle butts,  but the only thing I may be able to shed light on is on some panel hides I've had in the past have had gold coloured numbers stating the square footage has been on Italian hides. What you have could be from any nunber of finishing firms or wholesalers.   Might be worth getting in touch with Abbey and sending them pic sof the marks, Mike might recognise it if they stock similar.

Thanks for that reply. You could well be right, the seller mentioned that he sourced some of his supplies from Italy. Do you know of any saddle grade leather suppliers in Italy?

I will try to check myself, but it will be a future project due to all of us getting through the Covid nightmare.

Stay safe

Edited by Geoff

On 3/30/2020 at 7:11 AM, Geoff said:

Thanks for that reply. You could well be right, the seller mentioned that he sourced some of his supplies from Italy. Do you know of any saddle grade leather suppliers in Italy?

I will try to check myself, but it will be a future project due to all of us getting through the Covid nightmare.

Stay safe

Your welcome Geoff,     to answer your question,    I do not know any suppliers of saddle grade leathers in Italy.  I only use the oak bark tanned leathers from Bakers in Colyton, Devon for my harness work so have no need to shop around or have a few sources to go to as Bakers produce all I need.   By chance have you come across David who runs DLB leathers,   he would be a good guy to ask for a source of leather you may require, look up DLB leather on face book, he has his pages on there, he generally has a good selection, another general leather store aside form Abbey is Metropolitan leather near Nrothampton,  they keep a wide selection of all sorts, they have their own web page, just google their name and you will find it.

It may be worth contacting this firm in Italy who buy in from many italian Tanners https://buyleatheronline.com/

On 4/6/2020 at 8:16 PM, Geoff said:

I have looked on the Marcus Gear website, they have something similar.

Blimey, Marcus gear are still going,   havemt heard of them for years, I used to buy a bit of the Swedish Tarnsjo harness leather off them from time to time.