koreric75

Calculating gusset length for bags

So I've been experimenting a little, with a round bag and rectangle w/ radius corners (1.75"radius), and have had a really difficult time getting the measurements to come out right.  Does anyone have a good way to get it perty dern close on first go?  These are felted wool with some 2/3oz veg tan, Palencia i think from Tandy.  Overall I made it work, but had it bunch up at the last bit, and have had to unclip, and cut from the gusset usually.  But it's easier that way than to add to it I think.

Here's the calculator i used for the rectangle https://rechneronline.de/pi/rounded-rectangle.php

And for the circle I used an excel calc that I found on utube.

d32c1X0m.jpg9ibhKaGm.jpg

It may have something to do with the thickness of the materials.  Try adjusting your measurements for that and see what happens.

YinTx

On 12/1/2019 at 9:31 AM, YinTx said:

It may have something to do with the thickness of the materials.  Try adjusting your measurements for that and see what happens.

YinTx

Thanks YinTx, I've considered the thickness, but don't think it's calculated correctly as still had to remove material or end up with bunching towards the end.  

I got no help Sir but wanted to compliment you on the bags, those look great. Personally, I get a little scared when I use other than leather...things normally don't end well since I don't understand it as well as I do leather.

I had the same problem.  then I figured out what i was doing wrong

does this help?

fence_23.png

4 hours ago, Frodo said:

I had the same problem.  then I figured out what i was doing wrong

does this help?

fence_23.png

I may have been trying to add for seam allowance vs subtracting for it, that may be why I ended up with more gusset that circle.

I don't always get it right either. But have to agree with battlemunky , they are really well made . 

Off topic...I have a heap of 12 oz loom state left over from a restoration job, haven't quite worked out what to do with it, but these lovely bags inspire me . But the loom state  is cream in colour ( it will dirty easily ) . Love to combine a leather design with loom state...somehow. 

HS