Rylando

Experience with Zonesun hot stamper?

I've been looking at https://www.etsy.com/listing/619442866/workonleather-zs110-slideable-workbench?ref=shop_home_active_1&frs=1  for a hot stamper on a budget... Does anyone have experience with this machine or similar ones? Or recommendations for other machines? 

I guess no one has used one?  :wacko:

I have one and its a decent machine. There are two things about it that can cause issues. 

This is the first and really one gripe I have about it. The shaft that attaches to the base plate and holds which holds the rest of the machine will flex. What I mean by this is, when you exert a lot of pressure down onto leather that requires a good amount of pressure to leave a deep'ish impression the shaft will flex. What that does is cause your stamp / makers mark to leave an uneven impression. I found this to happen more with thicker veg tan and bridle leathers. 

The minor issue I have, and this was due to me not thinking this purchase through fully is, depending on the size of your stamps or makers mark you will need to get the correct heat plate for you needs. If you are only doing to use one stamp then get one that has a small heat plate. I have one that is 3.5" x 3.5".  It makes it really though to get my makers mark lined up to be parallel, plus it also makes it difficult to position your leather correctly as well, especially when its hot.

If you are going to use thin leathers, 2 to 4 oz thick and or chrome tanned it will work good. In all honesty you don't need to make a deep impression with this machine, its not really used for it. It will do great for getting the foil stamp on the surface of the leather.

I hope this info helps.

5 hours ago, 227Crafting said:

The shaft that attaches to the base plate and holds which holds the rest of the machine will flex. What I mean by this is, when you exert a lot of pressure down onto leather that requires a good amount of pressure to leave a deep'ish impression the shaft will flex.

Just curious ...is the shaft itself flexing or is it flexing at the base where it attaches? I have seen some now that have some springs attached at the hot plate part that appear to let the head centre down more evenly maybe on non even products. Not the best solution but it may help some to look into that. Having a few different hot stamping machines myself I can say that none of them have such a thin looking base to connect into and I wonder if the post could be mounted into a more substantial base perhaps?

It flexes at the base where the two attached. I feel like the springs would create a situation were there would be a lack of pressure being created due to the springs compressing.

16 minutes ago, 227Crafting said:

It flexes at the base where the two attached. I feel like the springs would create a situation were there would be a lack of pressure being created due to the springs compressing.

I would have thought so as well except some videos I have seen showing them in use were quite surprising. As for the base connection do you think if a larger steel base were attached or a large collar at the post base it would be better? I am looking at getting in one for a friend and I would like to be sure that the post part at least is quite solid. I already have to make up some better quick change stamping blocks for it so I would like to avoid it turning into a marathon. I have even considered whether to transplant the workings over onto a small drill press to gain working height and strength.

I think the pole part of this thing is pretty solid. With that being said I've not taken it apart to see if it is a solid piece or hollow. If it is solid it could be drilled out and re-threaded to allow for a larger bolt to go up into it. I do have a Jason System hot foil stamping machine that I have for sale. I'm selling it for 285 + shipping.

5 hours ago, 227Crafting said:

I think the pole part of this thing is pretty solid. With that being said I've not taken it apart to see if it is a solid piece or hollow. If it is solid it could be drilled out and re-threaded to allow for a larger bolt to go up into it. I do have a Jason System hot foil stamping machine that I have for sale. I'm selling it for 285 + shipping.

How bout posting some pictures of it and any details. I know someone over there might be interested.

As requested here are pictures of the Jasons System foil stamping machine.

*_new-6.jpg

*_new-5.jpg

*_new-4.jpg

*_new-3.jpg

*_new-2.jpg

*_new-0.jpg

*_new-1.jpg

*_new-7.jpg