deanmc

I think I screwed up

First of all, Hi to all and thanks for allowing me in. I am extreamly new to leather working, made a couple knife sheaths and a I pad cover. On this project, Im trying to make a molded cell phone case.  using7/8 oz veg tan, I cut my templet out, then cut a frame to match. I streached the leather around the templet, set the fram in place, clamped everything down, and walked away for 24 hours. When I came back to it, the  leather was spotted with mildue. My question is, can I fix it, or do I have to just trash it and start over, and what did I do wrong? Thanks for any help.

I'm surprised that mildew formed in just 24 hours. That has never happened to me. Can you post pictures to show us what it looks like?

Ok I tryed to send picture, but it is 4.1 in size. Mildue is what it looked like to me.( little black spots).Ill give conditions. It was in my shop, and there is no heat, over night temps were around 29 to 32 degrees. I did use scrap wood for mold and frame. I also soaked the leather before molding. and clamped it to my shop table made of wood. I tryed soft scoch bright to clean, but only smeared the spots together. If it can not be cleaned, I think Ill try black stain, or is there another path to take? Thanks again,

OK, did some resizing and got it to size.

resized.jpg

Iron filings will also turn the leather black is that a possibility?  Been there myself as I make knives also. 

I would try Oxalic acid. I had some rust marks show up on a case I was wet molding from my clamps and mixed a small batch up it took all the dark spots of. I ordered mine from Amazon it was pretty cheap.

Oxalic acid, wood cleaner, at most hardware stores.

Thanks to all, I think it was iron fillings. A week ago, I converted a log splitter into a metle press. Note to self, put away your water pan when not in use. Heading to Amazon now. Thanks

My bottle of oxalic  acid has skull & cross bones on it , as this stuff is toxic.

Originally, it used to come from Rhubarb leaves...I hated rhubarb & custard  as a kid....still do :devil:  Like olives & olive oil, rhubarb  should be illegal  :nuke: but thats another story for another thread  :)

HS

mix those iron filings or steel wool and some vinegar to make vinagaroon it will dye leather black as coal and is what I use sometimes.

I already have some vinegar and steelwool working in a jar. Was going to use it on a woodworking project soon. didnt know I could use it on leather though, thanks for the info.

On 12/3/2019 at 3:24 PM, chuck123wapati said:

mix those iron filings or steel wool and some vinegar to make vinagaroon it will dye leather black as coal and is what I use sometimes.

more like a very dark olive but not jet black very dark olive out in the sun     IMHO