Hello everyone,

Firstly excuse my English it is not the best. I work with leather and have a question if anyone is able to help.

I recieve from friend a old large intact python skin. It is dry, brittle and not in best condition but is it possible to treat for use in some project I have? 

Any information anyone can give me is big help to me because would be nice to use the skin and not let go to waste. Thank you all :)!

4A2C8045-C4BF-45D6-B727-FE1A6567EBE9.jpeg

24707E14-D162-42E6-A98E-3BB81CB3232A.jpeg

AB1871BD-E346-4A9E-990C-936F1338EE28.jpeg

Many years ago an Old Timer taught me how to handle snake skin from the beginning of getting the skin off, then drying it, and lastly preparing it for future use.  His method of tanning, for lack of a better word, was to make up a 50/50 mixture of Glycerine and Alcohol (Isopropyl) in a  container that could be sealed, insert skin, give it a shake periodically and in a couple of weeks it (the skin) would be ready for use.

Having said all of that, it appears to me that your primary issue is the brittleness of the skin.  If it were me, I'd whip up a batch of the aforementioned solution and start by gently brushing it onto both sides of the skin not less than twice a day.  I'd continue that and periodically assess to see if the skin was becoming less brittle.  It it became supple enough, I'd gently roll it up and put it into a container of fresh solution, cap it tightly, give it a shake a few times a week for a couple of months.  If all goes well, you might well end up with some skin fore your projects.

If you try this approach, please let me know how it turns out.

I almost forgot, welcome to the forum.  What part of the world are you located in?

Thank you for all information very very helpful, I will try this straight away and notify of you how it goes progress. But yes worry of me is the brittleness of skin.

Serbia but now based Belgium! 

13 minutes ago, Bant said:

I almost forgot, welcome to the forum.  What part of the world are you located in?