Sign in to follow this  
Daffy

New Member from Illinois

Greetings!! Thought I'd get the intro out of the way. Name is Mark, but as my handle implies I go by Daffy, long story, let's just say it fits.

Recently retired, communications tech, telco wireline. (dying breed)

Have worked wood and steel as a hobby my entire life, usually with some success. ;) 

Have been making knives for about 3 years now and have made some fairly nice ones. The natural path to making sheaths was there. Oh I kinda like vintage firearms too..Holsters need to be made...

Seems as though at the moment my duty has been making my own leather tools, I won't buy junk tools and the supposed good ones got some hefty price tags for a newly fixed income sort of guy like myself..

I'll get around to posting some pics of projects soon. Still in the process of absorbing info from those of you that have had the passion much longer. Truth be told I'm envious of your skills in all aspects and realize you didn't get them overnight. But if at least one of you all would bag up some of that artistic vision for stamping designs, I'd graciously accept it.... Yeah that ain't possible, so I keep trying to impress my self.

Guess that about sums it up, 

Yall have a Merry Christmas!!

Daffy

Greeting Daffy,

I grew up in East Moline, IL. Welcome to the site.

Welcome Daffy,  good bunch of people here and most will help just for the asking! Like you I am retired but I have been doing leather work off and on for 50+ years. Anyway enjoy retirement and your new found hobby. Rodney 

15 hours ago, Daffy said:

Greetings!! Thought I'd get the intro out of the way. Name is Mark, but as my handle implies I go by Daffy, long story, let's just say it fits.

Recently retired, communications tech, telco wireline. (dying breed)

Have worked wood and steel as a hobby my entire life, usually with some success. ;) 

Have been making knives for about 3 years now and have made some fairly nice ones. The natural path to making sheaths was there. Oh I kinda like vintage firearms too..Holsters need to be made...

Seems as though at the moment my duty has been making my own leather tools, I won't buy junk tools and the supposed good ones got some hefty price tags for a newly fixed income sort of guy like myself..

I'll get around to posting some pics of projects soon. Still in the process of absorbing info from those of you that have had the passion much longer. Truth be told I'm envious of your skills in all aspects and realize you didn't get them overnight. But if at least one of you all would bag up some of that artistic vision for stamping designs, I'd graciously accept it.... Yeah that ain't possible, so I keep trying to impress my self.

Guess that about sums it up, 

Yall have a Merry Christmas!!

Daffy

Daffy, welcome!  With your skills you can make plenty of the tools necessary.  I've seen some amazing round knives made by using old circular saw blades, for example.  That sounds like a piece of cake for you if you are making custom knives.  Corner edgers would be another thing to sort out.

Good luck with your new hobby!

Ray