epiphanist1248

Changing swivel knife blades

OK, so bear with me, this may be a really dumb question but I'm asking it anyway: 

I've recently started to do more carving. I have one swivel knife with the 3/8" blade it came with. I want to get different blades for it to do finer work, but some of the blades are 1/4" and I can't find a 1/4" swivel knife. Can I use those blades in the knife I have? Or am I just not looking hard enough? I'm confused, and I don't want to spend more than I have to. Thanks in advance.

The 1/4" refers to the width of the blade. All swivel knife blades have a standard sized shank above the cutting blade which fits up into the swivel knife body

see here: https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/craftool-steel-swivel-knife-blades

When you buy the replacement blade, make certain that it will be compatible with your knife.  Not all blades fit all knives.

Look at how the blade attaches, then buy one like it.  Or at least know who the maker if that knife is and buy it from the maker.

16 hours ago, epiphanist1248 said:

@SaddleBags how do I tell though?

You can pick up a cheap, plastic vernier caliper for a few bucks and measure the shank of the blade you're using now. (Assuming, of course, that you like your knife and want to keep using it.) 

I like Barry King blades and I think they offer very good value for the money. As Buzzardbait says, in addition to the blades that fit BK knives, BK blades are available with a smaller 7/32" shank that fits Tandy knives. Leather Wranglers also offer excellent blades in different shank sizes. Can't speak about other suppliers due to lack of first hand knowledge. I lament the fact that swivel knife/blade vendors don't list the shank sizes of their products. It would make things a lot easier.

And remember that no matter which blade you buy, the vital thing is to keep it sharp so it performs at full potential.

Regards,

Arturo