hughlle

Watch strap

Just a thought from a less than newbie. 

Is there a specific reason you'd make a strap from two pieces glued back to back, as opposed to a single piece of thicker leather that you thin out at the ends in order to loop over for the spring bar and clasp. 

Not always but in most cases for me the skin I want to display as against the skin touching my skin are not always that comfortable to wear. Couple a pics should help answer better maybe -

DSC05173_resize.JPG

DSC05174_resize.JPG

DSC05167_resize.JPG

DSC09968_resize.JPG

IMGP8367_resize.JPG

Thanks Nick, I should have thought to mention a post I made awhile ago that shows a method of how I make one of these bands above. Here's the link in case anyone has not seen it - https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/86069-how-to-make-a-watchband-with-edge-coating-tutorial/

36 minutes ago, hughlle said:

Cheers for the replies. I'm not a fan of exotic leather, or textured etc. Nothing but a nice plain brown strap. 

If you have a particular leather whose backside is comfortable against the skin, then go ahead and skive away.  Personally, I've made them both ways and I think they each have their strengths.  If you aren't going to stitch all the way down the sides, then a single, solid piece is obviously better because otherwise you have to rely 100% on adhesive and I wouldn't.  I'm not in any way saying that RockyAussie's method is not good, not in the least.  It is just that my expertise at gluing is lacking and I couldn't count on the type of results he gets.  His work is stellar.

Edited by Tugadude

On 12/6/2019 at 10:28 PM, RockyAussie said:

Thanks Nick, I should have thought to mention a post I made awhile ago that shows a method of how I make one of these bands above. Here's the link in case anyone has not seen it - https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/86069-how-to-make-a-watchband-with-edge-coating-tutorial/

Brian...

Awesome tutorial. Lots of work went into that and it is very magnanimous of you to offer it!

Many people will benefit.

nick

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

If you have a particular leather whose backside is comfortable against the skin, then go ahead and skive away.  Personally, I've made them both ways and I think they each have their strengths.  If you aren't going to stitch all the way down the sides, then a single, solid piece is obviously better because otherwise you have to rely 100% on adhesive and I wouldn't.  I'm not in any way saying that RockyAussie's method is not good, not in the least.  It is just that my expertise at gluing is lacking and I couldn't count on the type of results he gets.  His work is stellar.

My favourite straps have 2 stitches at the lug end, and a V stitch at the tail end. I don't like straps with stitching all the way around. My question is more about whether it is easier or more effective to have a single piece of leather, and thin it out and fold over the spring bar and then, or to have two identical pieces of leather, and have one longer than the other which is then wrapped over the spring bar. As a watch enthusiast, both would seem to have their place. I'm now curious as to what leather folk think about it. From a logical point of view, the less stitches and less adhesive the better. But perhaps that requires greater levels of skill. 

.RockyAussie  work is top shelf.  

I personally really like the 2 strap method.

It shows the skill and knowledge of the maker.   A simple single strap is what they teach to beginners.