wlg1908

Dog training leash

The other I was making leashes an though I would like to make a long one, so I made a 15' leash with a brass snap on the end . I posted it on my facebook page and a dog trainer is interested in it but this is my first time making that long of a leash and have no Idea what I should price it at. Here are a  few pic's, tell me what you would charge.  The leash is made from 9/11 oz latigo, 15' long and one inch width.

thumbnail_IMG_4175.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4176.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4177.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4178.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4179.jpg

Honestly, until I replaced the rivets with either rivet and burr style rivets, stitched the snap and handle ends, or did a bleed knot on both ends, I personally wouldn't sell it. You get a 100 pound dog pulling on that with some good hard jolts, and the dog is running free.

I sell 6' leads using bleed knots for 60.00

I am just curios what type of dog training would need a 15 foot long leather leash.

I don't know. She said she likes to do some of her training with a long lead.

1 hour ago, Halitech said:

Honestly, until I replaced the rivets with either rivet and burr style rivets, stitched the snap and handle ends, or did a bleed knot on both ends, I personally wouldn't sell it. You get a 100 pound dog pulling on that with some good hard jolts, and the dog is running free.

I sell 6' leads using bleed knots for 60.00

Do you have any photo's of your leads ?

6 hours ago, wlg1908 said:

I don't know. She said she likes to do some of her training with a long lead.

Do you have any photo's of your leads ?

This is one I did for a lady that runs a rescue shelter. It's 5' with 2 2' leads to walk 2 dogs at once.

IMG_20190705_231537a.jpg

IMG_20190705_231506a.jpg

IMG_20190705_231418a.jpg

Hi,

How do you cut a 15' leather strap for that leash?  I have 2 hunting dog that I would like to put on a longer leash.

I have only have cut belt blanks.

Howard

21 minutes ago, seabee said:

Hi,

How do you cut a 15' leather strap for that leash?  I have 2 hunting dog that I would like to put on a longer leash.

I have only have cut belt blanks.

Howard

He didn't, he stitched 2 pieces together. In theory though, you could take a big enough piece and cut a circle in the middle then cut the strap out in a circle, same idea as a lace cutter. Then soak it and stretch it straight.

Halitech,  Thanks for the responds.  I am going to try making one tonight. 

Thanks, Howard

2 hours ago, seabee said:

Halitech,  Thanks for the responds.  I am going to try making one tonight. 

Thanks, Howard

Just take an cut two 1" straps, skive the two ends that will be sewing together an sew

On 12/7/2019 at 12:12 AM, LeatherLegion said:

I am just curios what type of dog training would need a 15 foot long leather leash.

The trainer I know uses them for recall(getting them to come when called) training. It affords more control than one of those extendi-leashes.

26 minutes ago, Tinkerton said:

The trainer I know uses them for recall(getting them to come when called) training. It affords more control than one of those extend-leashes.

If it's just recall , i would do 1/2in . It will reduce the weight a bit You can also use an O ring to connect the two lengths 

Hi again,   I made 3 long leashes last night, and took the dogs out this morning to see how they would react.  They seemed to like the extra freedom and I liked not having to keep up with them.  The test will be on the hunt.

Howard

Do you have a pic.

On 12/8/2019 at 6:20 PM, seabee said:

Hi again,   I made 3 long leashes last night, and took the dogs out this morning to see how they would react.  They seemed to like the extra freedom and I liked not having to keep up with them.  The test will be on the hunt.

Howard

c.

wig1908,  Sorry, I don't own a camera, and a land line.

Howard