Craftt

Help with knife sheath

Need to know what to do when there is a .5” difference between blade and Guard

7B754DB3-D7C2-4290-B733-BC98CC0ADFCE.thumb.jpeg.f0778e19c29c01bb11c1f610fd8f7103.jpeg

Edited by Craftt

I assume you mean that the diameter of the hilt is fairly big compared to the base of the blade. It's a good picture of the detail of the problem area, but it would have been nice to see the whole knife, or at least the whole handle and most of the blade

The first part of the handle, brass in this case,is known as the bolster. My thought is to file & sand the bolster so that it is flatter, more of an oval shape to reduce the difference or step down to the blade and blend or fair it into the rest of the handle, so that it ends up like the Scandinavian puuko style

Then make a sheath such that the blade & handle fit into it, about 3/4 of the way up the handle. Search YouTube for 'Making a Scandi Sheath' and 'Puuko Knife'; and play around with the Search & Links, and you'll see the sort of thing I was thinking of

Or just 'Making a Leather Knife Sheath'; there are loads of videos, you're bound to see something that will do the job

You might need to wet form the sheath, or at least stretch the sheath when it's been well oiled or greased. I've seen your post on 'Critique My Work' and I don't think you'll have much of a problem with the leatherwork

Bu before all that it would be worth seeing a picture of the whole knife & handle

Edited by zuludog

Can’t change knife doesn’t belong to me. 

824289E1-36E6-4D2F-99A4-151E45AED8AE.jpeg

4EA0205F-A4C1-4FBA-8B16-4CBCA112C35D.jpeg

7E647F2C-E1EB-43A4-8E4A-A9A1310B89C6.jpeg

Have a look at this video. He shows how to make a sheath that fits closely around the blade, and a couple of ways to cope with the step formed where the blade meets the bolster, whilst leaving all the handle exposed

'Designing and Making a Ka-Bar Sheath' by Ian Atkinson

You have a couple options.  

One is to stop the sheath at the bolster and secure the handle with a strap.  Since that knife is half handle I'd put the strap as high as possible. 

Second option is to put a serious welt on it but skive the welting.  So that it's thicker at the bolster.  But you are looking at 4-5 layers of leather at the bolster.  Doable but might be tough. 

Third is to flare the top of the sheat at the bolster.  Welt the sheath like normal.  But flare the mouth like a Y.  That way when you wet the sheath and put the knife in you have enough room for the bolster to fit into the sheath.  I'd have to tinker with it, but you might have to flare it out .5" on each side.  It will suck the sides in as you drive the bolster in.  

Finished the sheath with a wedge made from layers of leather.

3D294D22-606A-445D-ADA9-788F5C4BD374.jpeg

DA8F6F66-CDCC-4C1C-8250-85F39F864490.jpeg

BDFBEB02-D8BF-4335-A411-23846C262B6A.jpeg

50451425-C7E0-42D5-9F71-FA201B6B6742.jpeg

Thanks but I hope I never have to make another one