cmbtsmrf

My very first... well, anything that I've made with leather

Hello Everyone !

So, here is my very first creation in Leather.  I'll explain what and how I did it, but I don't necessarily know all the proper terminology.

I started by finding a pattern online.  I found one and resized it in Photoshop so that the 2 slots on each side were 1 3/4" long since I have a punch that size.  I traced out the patter on the rough side of the leather and cut out the front piece.  Once that was done, I moistened it with a  sponge and traced out the stitch lines and the location for the pattern.  I then used the letter stamps to imprint my initials.  I soaked it pretty good before I did that.  I then used the stamp that has the triangular pattern and stamped the pattern.  I did the border with a croissant shaped stamp.  I cut out the slots with the punch and then I glued the top piece to the bottom, just the edges and the area that is not opened.

Once dried, I used a groover to put the stitching groove and I used a rake like punch to make the holes.  I stitched it with a white waxy tread.  I started at one end and did a continuous stitch.  Once done, I sanded the edges with 60, then 80, then 400 grit paper.  I dyed it using an English Brown dye, and did the edges too.  I think I did 2 coats.  Once dried, I used a buffing wheel to do the edges super smooth, and then did the surface on the buffing wheel.

Some thing I would do different.  1 - Stitch after I dye it so the thread is vibrant white (although I kinda like it the way it is).  2 - Take my time.  I did the whole thing in about 2 hours, minus the drying time.  3 - Side stitching should be parallel, but it fits the leatherman tool really well.

So, all comments and critiques are welcome and please be honest, I want to learn and without criticism, you can't learn.

Thanks!

Andrew

Leather.jpg

Nice work, the problem is now you opened the box of Pandora. 

You will try other projects and before you know it your house is full of leather. 

Good job 

B

That is a very good first project, if you ask me. You seem to have a good understanding of what you need to do to improve it too. 

I'm sure your next one will show what you have learned from this one.

Regarding thread color. I know that white is very popular but I am not a big fan of it. I prefer matching colors or contrasting colors (other than white).

In the past, I have dyed un-waxed white linen thread with the color that I used on the holster, to get a good match. I don't think that this would work well on pre-waxed thread though, but it might.

You could buy a lighter or darker brown thread and it would probably look pretty good.

Have fun!

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

Looks like you stamped while the leather was too wet. Let it dry until it's about back to it's natural color. In a few places you used too much pressure when burnishing especially the bottom.

Did you use a finish?

Nice and very useful pouch for a multi tool.

PS

This reminds me of an article by a policeman who encouraged cops to carry a good knife on their gunbelt. he had answered a call and found a man hanging from a rafter. He held him up by the legs as well as he could but had nothing to cut the rope with. He said it made him feel so helpless. As it turned out the guy was past saving before the cop ever got there but the lesson learned as of value. awhile back a construction worker near the factory i worked in was caught by the hand in a bulldozer track. The worker with him fainted so this guy had to cut away the crushed part of his own hand and bandage it ,otherwise he'd have bled to death before help arrived. I always carry a substantial folder that can be opened with one hand, generally clipped inside a pocket but a pouch on a belt is a better idea as its easier to reach.

Edited by Professor

Thanks all for the replies.

Wizard, I understand what you mean, a dark brown thread would have matched far better.  I was just thinking of contrast.  From what I've seen others do, it seems like most people go for a complete difference in thread to create contrast.  I will definitely try what you suggested and see what I like best.  I was thinking of doing black leather with either a dark blue or red thread.

Thefanninator - I definitely had the leather too wet.  I actually soaked it until bubbles stopped and then proceeded to stamp.  This is the part I think I will have to practice on some scraps to get it right.  I've looked at some youtube vids and it seems like most just moisten it with a sponge and then stamp.  I thought that unless it is really wet, the impression doesn't come out.  Live and learn.  I did not do any finish on it.  Could you recommend any or explain what you mean by using a finish.  For my learning of course.

Thanks to all who have commented, it's nice that people think my first attempt was pretty good.  I know it's not perfect but it will definitely be used by me no matter what, especially since it's my first project.

Andrew

8 hours ago, cmbtsmrf said:

Thefanninator - I definitely had the leather too wet.  I actually soaked it until bubbles stopped and then proceeded to stamp.  This is the part I think I will have to practice on some scraps to get it right.  I've looked at some youtube vids and it seems like most just moisten it with a sponge and then stamp.  I thought that unless it is really wet, the impression doesn't come out.  Live and learn.  I did not do any finish on it.  Could you recommend any or explain what you mean by using a finish.  For my learning of course.

Thanks to all who have commented, it's nice that people think my first attempt was pretty good.  I know it's not perfect but it will definitely be used by me no matter what, especially since it's my first project.

Andrew

I'd suggest Tan Kote by Fiebing's. Others use Resolene.

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Finish-Tan-Kote-4oz

Edited by thefanninator

12 hours ago, cmbtsmrf said:

I was thinking of doing black leather with either a dark blue or red thread.

Black with blue or red would be nice.

Moistening with a sponge is done for stamping. Submerging in water is done for wet molding because every fiber needs to be flexible.                                                                                                                         

You cannot mold wet leather and you cannot mold dry leather, it has to be somewhere in between, but closer to dry. Dip your leather in the water just until it feels limp.                                                                     

You don't have to drown it! Take it out and let it start drying. When it has nearly returned to it's natural color, it will feel cool, it will be mold-able and will hold it's shape.

There are many commercial finishes or top-coats, available. Over time, you should experiment with several to see which you prefer.                                                                                                                                    

I use Satin Shene because I prefer a less shiny look, but shiny is very popular.

Many people use use Mop & Glo floor polish mixed 50/50 with water.                                                                                                                        

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

@thefanninator:  WHOA!!  mop and glow?  never would've thought!

@cmbtsmrf  for someone who even 'rushed through it' you did a good job.   And a sign of a good learner is someone who can reflect on what went wrong and how they could do better next time and also be willing to accept constructive criticism.   me, being a total noob, is just sponging things up and hope to get creative during the holiday break!  

On 12/17/2019 at 3:35 PM, JayEhl said:

@thefanninator:  WHOA!!  mop and glow?  never would've thought!

@cmbtsmrf  for someone who even 'rushed through it' you did a good job.   And a sign of a good learner is someone who can reflect on what went wrong and how they could do better next time and also be willing to accept constructive criticism.   me, being a total noob, is just sponging things up and hope to get creative during the holiday break!  

I didn't suggest Mop & Glow, wizard of tragacanth mentioned that some use it. I've never used it.

Edited by thefanninator

Great first project!  You obviously have been studying means and methods and have jumped in ready to swim.  Keep learning and reaching, raising your own bar.  I learn something with every project or at least try to.