NeilMott

circular holes or holes cut out - is there a difference?

I have the Crimson Hides set (2 prong and 5 prong) of both the 3.0 and the 3.85.  The 3.0 are very demanding of being punched in a straight line.  1/2mm off and it will show on the stitches.  I have been using the 3.85's and really enjoy them.  The quality is high (Very well polished)

I was thinking somewhere around 8 spi, as it's not too fine, not too big....As far as Japanese vs French/European style punches...I am really on the fence.  I don't know what's normally done.  I was leaning towards the Japanese irons as they have a point.  So after marking the lines, the point goes in and lining up the punches is a dream.  French ones would take a bit more care to line up.  

According to Ian Atkinson, 8-9 spi should use between 0.6mm to 0.8mm thread.  For watch straps he suggests a higher spi with 0.5-0.6mm thread.  My straps are a bit thicker so I think a slightly thicker thread is more appropriate...  I used 0.6mm on my last strap and it looked good but I didn't want to go smaller...  

I'll revisit Kevin Lee's irons and watch Nigel's video again.  I imagine I'll eventually end up with more than one set of irons, but for now these will need to be the "ones".

Best,

Neil

8 hours ago, KJD2121 said:

I have the Crimson Hides set (2 prong and 5 prong) of both the 3.0 and the 3.85.  The 3.0 are very demanding of being punched in a straight line.  1/2mm off and it will show on the stitches.  I have been using the 3.85's and really enjoy them.  The quality is high (Very well polished)

Ah, great to know.  I was thinking of ordering the 3.85mm irons.  Nigel really really liked them and if people have a hard time telling them from Blanchard pricking irons, then it's a real well make product.

I've reached out to a few people about diamond vs French style irons, but they are super tight lipped about what they use...  Here are a couple screen captures.  Can a trained eye tell what type of irons they're using?

1479039696_ScreenShot2020-01-23at8_20_39PM.png.016d65fdcb70ea00183e130fe871bfaf.png893289880_ScreenShot2020-01-23at8_20_15PM.png.e6e2fd7e74ec051f6acebce3499ae244.png

The top image shows what looks like a diamond cut on the first stitch to the right and some of the others also show a straight edge towards the top right of the stitches

Second imaGe looks like a french style pricking iron you can see the little slits

Edited by chrisash