NewfoundlandLaw

Belt Tipping Machine

Hey All

I make a lot of Dog Collars, Belts and Straps and I am always obsessed with getting a perfectly symmetrical tips and holes.  (I am A LOT OCD.)

I see Tandy Leather has their Pro Tipping machine on sale. The link is here: Pro Tipping Machine

I think a few different places sell the same press under different names, but I can't find many reviews or videos.  Nearest Tandy Leather is 3000kms away so I can't just go see it in person. 

I'm wondering if anyone on here has tried it?

I saw your post, looked at the unit and bought one. (lol I live close enough to a store to do a return)

I set it up yesterday and gave it a quick test run.  It works well!  I think at the sale price, it is an excellent deal.

My negatives on it:

Does not have self centering guides.  The single guide works okay, but you have to adjust it (correctly) if you change width.  The measuring guide seems fairly accurate but is in millimeters.

Both dies have a round end punch good for up to 2".  Okay for the buckle end, but I don't like it for the billet end.. not as pointy as I would like.  However they do offer an English point model  ( https://www.tandyleather.ca/en/product/craftool-pro-tipping-end-punch)  For $155.29.

On 12/12/2019 at 12:37 PM, Sonydaze said:

I saw your post, looked at the unit and bought one. (lol I live close enough to a store to do a return)

I set it up yesterday and gave it a quick test run.  It works well!  I think at the sale price, it is an excellent deal.

My negatives on it:

Does not have self centering guides.  The single guide works okay, but you have to adjust it (correctly) if you change width.  The measuring guide seems fairly accurate but is in millimeters.

Both dies have a round end punch good for up to 2".  Okay for the buckle end, but I don't like it for the billet end.. not as pointy as I would like.  However they do offer an English point model  ( https://www.tandyleather.ca/en/product/craftool-pro-tipping-end-punch)  For $155.29.

Is the English point punch different than the end that comes with the machine?

At less than $600 seems like a great deal. I wish there were individual sized end punches oppose to a "one fits all " 

There is only one end punch available (includes the replacement one on their website). 

Weaver offers some choices and I think I will get one and try to adapt it. 

Still for the sale price, I'm not going to whine. 

On 12/19/2019 at 9:03 PM, Sonydaze said:

There is only one end punch available (includes the replacement one on their website). 

Weaver offers some choices and I think I will get one and try to adapt it. 

Still for the sale price, I'm not going to whine. 

I'm also wondering if the Weaver points would fit. It's $199 right now.so I might take a chance. @Sonydaze, did you try one?

With the pandemic, I haven't gotten it from Weaver, yet as belts are not my priority at this time. I due still intend to see if they work or how they have to be adapted. I'm thinking the belt ends are why Tandy is dumping them. If it proves reasonable to alter Weaver's belt ends, it will be a great price. 

I read Newfoundlaw's post and decided to buy one. I bought one at their sale price $400. Received it yesterday. Looks like its very well made but very poor limited instructions came with the machine. Adjusting the fence is quite limited, maybe Im not doing it right? I'm making dog collars and thought this machine would speed up the production process. Im thinking I need to make a jig for my collars to get them to line up right. Any information would be appreciated.  For the price I can't complain, I was told they were originally $1000.00.