Frodo

Chinese shoe patcher build

This is my Chinese shoe patcher build thread. I

t will be an ongoing thread till the machine is built, then I will post a youtube of it running

my intent.  build  motor driven patcher.. Fix all the bugs that are supposedly wrong with the machine

I have ordered the sewing machine.  It will be here this week, So the amazonians claim.

it is a Uttiny machine the  cost is $109.99.   It was a gift from a friend 

The motor is a  Enduro.  The cost $114.50.    I traded some silver I had for the motor

The motor arrived yesterday.  I removed the 3'' pulley  I   machined a 1 1/2'' pulley to fit the shaft.  

20191210_065750.jpg

Edited by Northmount
Cleaned up your post for you Frodo

Northmount Thank you,  that was most kind of you

Hey Frodo,

Is this the Chinese shoe patcher you're talking about?

Chinese shoe patcher. 8.25.19.jpg

yes sir,  same thing different color

click the name ''uttiny'' in my 1st post

you can also click the word ''enduro'' to see the motor

Edited by Frodo
spelling

to day is a waiting on amazon day.

so i drug the old shooting bench out of the yard.  cut the seat off

cleaned it up, added another layer of cdx on top of the plywood

gave it 2  polyurethane coats

20191211_161351.jpg

I see that motor has a variable rpm knob. Can you adjust that to a max speed then use a foot pedal also for variable speed up to that set point? Very nice motor for the price!

haha I have one of those shoe patchers. I've not done leather work with it but it saved my but when i had to sew a ton of embroidered patches (I do commercial embroidery) on to a bunch of baseball caps. It took me forever since I have no motor and hand cranked it but I like that it used just everyday sewing needles for typical home machines. It was 40wt polyester i was running and the whole time i was thinking "if this little thing just had a motor"

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

I see that motor has a variable rpm knob. Can you adjust that to a max speed then use a foot pedal also for variable speed up to that set point? Very nice motor for the price!

The motor has a variable speed knob and a lever to hook up  foot pedal up to

I am going to slow it down further using a set of pulleys.  In order to keep the torque constant at low rpm

I want enough torque to go through 3 pieces of 9oz veg tan   at 1 stitch every 3 seconds for control purposes

motor_arm.png

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

The motor has a variable speed knob and a lever to hook up  foot pedal up to

I am going to slow it down further using a set of pulleys.  In order to keep the torque constant at low rpm

I want enough torque to go through 3 pieces of 9oz veg tan   at 1 stitch every 3 seconds for control purposes

motor_arm.png

That will be interesting getting it down that low of rpm, is the patcher 1 to 1, one turn of the handle to one stitch?

i do not know.  it is being shipped.  should be here to day or tomorrow

i will know specifics after i get my grimy paws on it

On 12/10/2019 at 9:30 AM, Frodo said:

On 12/11/2019 at 1:35 PM, Frodo said:

yes sir,  same thing different color

click the name ''uttiny'' in my 1st post

you can also click the word ''enduro'' to see the motor

I clicked, and I saw.  Thanks.  I'd love to have a little power assist on my rig.  Hope you'll be sharing your progress.  Good luck with your project.  Looking forward to hearing about your success.

Today UPs decided to redirect the package to Florida.  I guess it needed a vacation. NEW tracking info says monday the 16th.

Don't you just love the shipping system?

decided to go ahead and work on the pedal for the motor while waiting.  this is just a mock up. 

I will mock up the whole build before taking it apart and then painting.  

Using a foot pedal form a old Singer 66 tredel  chains and a spring

Excuse the trash on the floor. The cat beat up a roll of paper towels

20191214_144055.jpg

Edited by Frodo

UPS and USPS are actually pretty good if you think about it.  They hardly lose things, which amazes me to no end given all they handle.  But yeah, when you're that one in a million they totally suck!  I've had two things show up months later, and once not at all.  So I killed them.  Just kidding.

At the bottom of your posts it says singer 66, two needles.  I'm not sure what that means and it's bugging me.  Is it something you can talk about?

a singer 66 is a vintage [1924] sewing machine I have that will sew leather.  And the other means of sewing leather is 2 needles  for a saddle stitch.

one of my favorite songs  .  

Mine is a 66-16, 1955 model. It will sew 3 osinger-66-16.jpg.704711de2907952457fa1b7cdea181cc.jpgz, 5 oz if I carefully turn the wheel by hand.   Straight stitch only, but what a great machine.  I'm looking to upgrade the motor for some torque. Would you know anything about stronger motors for these?  I know Colt did one of these, but I don't know what he used.

2 needles...  Yeah, okay, i get it.  Thank you.

I'm a little slow sometimes.  Too much Neil Young back in the day. 

Triple entendre!

Harvest Moon was a frik'n masterpiece...  and still is.

Mine has a motor off of a Brother Sewing machine. I find myself hand turning more than using the motor

Mine sews like yours, up to 5oz.  That is the reason for this build. I want to be able to sew double 8 or 9oz leather for holsters

or rifle scabbards.  Right now I am limited as to what I can do.

lol where I live in Wyoming on, I-80, I have had packages go through my town twice before they get delivered, ups has a main hub in Colo. so any thing goes there first,  if its from the west coast it goes through town to Colo. then back. Sometimes UPS will get it here then drop it in our towns mail which now gets sorted in Cheyenne then back again and delivered by USPS.  If its fed ex they have a place in SLC so if its from east of me it goes right through town and then back again, once it went from the east coast to Salt Lake then back to Cheyenne then back again to me.  Tracking systems are great but life was less stressful when you didn't know this stuff it was just the old 4 to 6 weeks and you were elated when they got to you sooner. 

6 hours ago, zzmikeg said:

Mine is a 66-16, 1955 model. It will sew 3 osinger-66-16.jpg.704711de2907952457fa1b7cdea181cc.jpgz, 5 oz if I carefully turn the wheel by hand.   Straight stitch only, but what a great machine.  I'm looking to upgrade the motor for some torque. Would you know anything about stronger motors for these?  I know Colt did one of these, but I don't know what he used.

2 needles...  Yeah, okay, i get it.  Thank you.

I'm a little slow sometimes.  Too much Neil Young back in the day. 

Triple entendre!

Harvest Moon was a frik'n masterpiece...  and still is.

That's a cool old machine now i'm wondering how my old Royal would do. I've restored it but never tried it on leather I do know it'll do about 3/8 inches of fabric. gonna have to give er a go.

royal1.JPG

Beautiful restoration,  Your wood working is top notch 

Horay!!

machine showed during a tornado warning with lots of rain.

I gotta get me one of those UPS foul weather hats.

I unpackaged the machine, then checked ro see if it actually works. It does

next, I removed the cam shaft.  I will go to town and find another shaft or have one turned

I need one that is longer and will fit inside of the old 12'' cast iron tredel pulley

20191216_170029.jpg

20191216_171300.jpg

20191216_171331.jpg

When and if you remove the cam shaft on these machines.

Turn the handle so the wood handle is at top dead center

then where the cams are located on the shaft, use a sharpie to mark the position of the cams in relation to top dead center

now every thing is marked. reassembly will be a breeze 

On 12/15/2019 at 5:36 AM, Frodo said:

Mine has a motor off of a Brother Sewing machine. I find myself hand turning more than using the motor

Mine sews like yours, up to 5oz.  That is the reason for this build. I want to be able to sew double 8 or 9oz leather for holsters

or rifle scabbards.  Right now I am limited as to what I can do.

On 12/15/2019 at 7:11 AM, chuck123wapati said:

That's a cool old machine now i'm wondering how my old Royal would do. I've restored it but never tried it on leather I do know it'll do about 3/8 inches of fabric. gonna have to give er a go.

royal1.JPG

That's a handsome little machine. Nice restoration.  Looks a little older and definitely a lot nicer than my Singer  ($50, Craig's List)   Nice job on that base, too.  Mine currently sits on four warped,  re-purposed, bare pieces of 2x4.  I'm going for that natural look.  It really classes up the joint.

You have that nice big wheel.  I've heard larger, and thus heavier, wheels help to maintain momentum when sewing which I guess is good when sewing leather.

Outstanding job by whoever did those newer painted flowers.

3 hours ago, Frodo said:

When and if you remove the cam shaft on these machines.

Turn the handle so the wood handle is at top dead center

then where the cams are located on the shaft, use a sharpie to mark the position of the cams in relation to top dead center

now every thing is marked. reassembly will be a breeze 

Ahh. Thanks. I love those time/sanity saving tips.  

If your shoe patcher is like mine was when I got then it has a lot of sharp edges.  I've spent some time with the hand-held files and the Dremel in an effort to avoid slicing myself open and for smoother operation. I've heard these things always need some going over when they arrive. Mine wasn't sewing when i first got it. I've had it for just a couple of months and it's working pretty good now, except for a sticking point that happens while passing the 11 and 2 o'clock position.  I mess with it as time permits.

These things went up in price a few months ago to nearly double what they are now.  The prices now are back to "Normal."  That's an interesting fluctuation in price.  It's not like it's a commodity or something.

6 hours ago, Frodo said:

Horay!!

machine showed during a tornado warning with lots of rain.

I gotta get me one of those UPS foul weather hats.

I unpackaged the machine, then checked ro see if it actually works. It does

next, I removed the cam shaft.  I will go to town and find another shaft or have one turned

I need one that is longer and will fit inside of the old 12'' cast iron tredel pulley

20191216_170029.jpg

20191216_171300.jpg

20191216_171331.jpg;;

Looks like the wheel from a Penny Farthing bike. 

I'm guessing you had this thing stripped before the Styrofoam peanuts ever hit the floor.  I can't wait to see this leather pounding Frankenstein come together.  You're going for three pieces of nine ounce?  I'm starting to think that the only obstacle is gonna be the clearance between the needle and the shuttle bed. 

If you accidentally sew an Ulna to a piece of leather,  try not to yank and flinch.  Stay focused, and carefully back the needle out from the bone before cussing and cursing.   Not sure where I heard this but I think the info is good.