jjs111w

Need supplier of needles for vintage Singer 111W113

I rarely use our antique (circa mid 1940's) singer 111W113 walking foot machine.  Am down to 2 needles.  Manual says it uses  135x17 needles.

We ordered some 135x17 and they are too short by 3/16".  We have to this point never purchased needles as been using up the supply that came with the machine purchase a few years ago.  

I've been all over the internet trying to find info on the size of the needles we need which are 1-15/16" total length.  Just can't find any info relating the length of the needles.  Even our local sewing machine store cannot help me.

Look at the photo to see our issue.   I've already wasted money ordering the 135x17  stock.

So can someone point me to a supplier that will have the correct size for our machine as well as an explanation of the various needle sizes used in an industrial machine.

Thanks

102_3517.JPG

I would drop the needle bar down and use the 135x17 needles. Easiest way to do this is to rotate the hook point into the scarf of the longer needle, remove the long needle and make sure you don’t turn the handwheel. Insert a 135x17 needle, then loosen the needle bar clamp. Tap the needle bar down until the scarf of the 135x17 is centered at the hook point (which hasn’t moved), tighten the needle bar clamp screw and you’re done. 

Regards, Eric 

I suspect now that in the past someone did raise the needle bar on our machine.  I would love to lower the bar as suggested but I have no idea how to do it.  Worried about screwing up a machine that is working very well.  

Sorry but I am very much a novice hobbyist.  For example as "gottaknow" recommends to 

"to rotate the hook point into the scarf..."  Not even sure what the scarf is?

Thanks, 

1 minute ago, jjs111w said:

I suspect now that in the past someone did raise the needle bar on our machine.  I would love to lower the bar as suggested but I have no idea how to do it.  Worried about screwing up a machine that is working very well.  

Sorry but I am very much a novice hobbyist.  For example as "gottaknow" recommends to 

"to rotate the hook point into the scarf..."  Not even sure what the scarf is?

Thanks, 

You can always buy Pfaff System 190 needles which are exactly 3/16" longer than System 135x17. They have the same top shank diameter. I'll bet that the previous owner raised the needle bar to let him/her use these longer needles to get higher alternating foot lift. I've done that on a few walking foot machines to sew a particularly tall step or thick seams.

The scarf is a cutout on one side, above the eye hole in the needle. The other side has a ribbed thread channel. Normal alignment places the scarf side of the needle towards the rotating or oscillating "shuttle hook", which has a sharp point on one end that picks off the thread loop that is formed as the needle rises above bottom dead center. SOP on your machine is that the point of the hook intersects the rising needle about 1/8 inch above the eye. At that position there is usually a decent loop for the hook to split and carry around the shuttle and bobbin.

If you don't plan to sew over 3/8 inch, download a manual for the Singer 111w155, read the sections about timing, then lower the needle bar.

Wizcrafts

Can you be a bit more specific on the Pfaff system 190 needles.  What would be the exact notation and perhaps where to buy them for me to look for.  I believe the needle that is in the machine now has a 120 stamped on it.  I use the machine to sew automobile seat covers, so light to medium vinyl and  leather with foam backings.

Thanks

As far as I can see, a 135x17 have a "but to eye" length of 38.9 mm

The 190 needle have got 44.5 mm so it is 5.6 mm longer or 7/32 inch longer

This is a supplier: https://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=NDL-190

One of the more interesting System 190 needles I have are number 150, which are between #22/140 and #23/160 in diameter. They are a perfect size for #138 thread into medium to hard temper leather.

I believe I got some of them from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.

I know this posting has been up a long time. I am just getting a Singer 111W113 and wonder how different they are as it is said replaced by111W153 on Ismacs sight page? 
Are they also tripped feeds? Not a whole lot of online info on them.