GnewVFL

Tooling tools for Sheridan style

Hello everyone, I’m looking for tips/ Tandy tool numbers in reference to Sheridan style projects. Any advice is much appreciated. Please critique. Thanks guys 

0DCE6D7B-2B6B-4652-880F-C61523EB3D55.jpeg

The basic Tandy tooling set if I remember correctly would have everything you need on that.  Camouflager and Pear Shader you have used already.  I think there is a Beveler, a couple of Veiners, a Seeder, a Mule-foot and a Backgrounder.   I don't have the numbers here right now but there are a variety of those same basic tools depending on the size and style you like.  

Most traditional Sheridan tooling is done with a handful of tools. Checkered steep bevelers, horizontal lined thumbprint (elongated pear shader), thin veiners, bargrounders (background tool), under-cut bevelers, leaf liners, and flower center shaders are the main tools used. Tandy offers a couple (thumbprint and veiners) in their higher priced tools, but you will probably have to get most of them from a custom maker. All come in a variety of sizes to fit your work size. I like Barry King tools, but there are several options. I would recommend looking at the book "Sheridan Style Carving" by Bob Likewise. It's the best book on Sheridan tooling I've come across.

Edited by TSes
additional info

I have a steep beveler I like to use from hide crafters  PB011 for those tight turns.

a20791e14538841c7cb51d_l__68055.1404897313.jpg

I also like Barry King tools. Nice, clean, sharp impressions and worth every penny.

Here's a link to a section of his website that has a listing of recommended tools and sizes for your reference. http://www.barrykingtools.com/sizelist.htm

Regards,

Arturo

Expensive tools are nice, Bob Beard, Wayne Jeuschke, and Barry King are all nice.  If you don't want to spend $50+ on a single tool, look for the recently discontinued Craftool Pro series, they were nice tools for the price and I enjoy using mine.  I just completed a design with nothing but a swivel knife, beveler and a round beveler. IMO, a bit further down would be  Hide Crafters tools, they would probably serve you well.  As mentioned, bevelers, mules foot, pear shaders, veiners, seeders and backgrounders would get you started.  Numbers on tools just depend on the size of the item and design you are working on.

YinTx

7 hours ago, YinTx said:

IMO, a bit further down would be  Hide Crafters tools, they would probably serve you well. 

I think Hide crafters are chrome covered zinc and King's are stainless

19 minutes ago, sinpac said:

I think Hide crafters are chrome covered zinc and King's are stainless

Possible, hence the price difference and the distance down the quality scale.

YinTx

I am thinking no matter what tools are giving to a true craftsman, the magic can still happen.